PDA

View Full Version : Dagor 165/6,8 shutter size?

svlindbe
23-Apr-2008, 13:33
I have just acquired a very nice looking Dagor 165 mm, f. 6,8 , seems uncoated, serial number 461822. I suppose it is the same as the 6,5 inch version. It is only the lens cells. I have trouble finding out which shutter it will fit. The threads of the rear and front cells are the same size and look like they are made of aluminium, whereas the rest of the metal is painted black. They fit in the back thread of a Copal no. 1 shutter, that is 36 mm, albeit a little loose. Is this the normal version of this lens, or is it a "special edition" of some kind? What shutter would fit? What is the correct lens spacing (measure front to back)?

Svein Lindberg

Don Dudenbostel
23-Apr-2008, 13:51
I have a 6-1/2 inch WA Dagor that's in an Ilex #3. This would be my guess. Copal wasn't around at the time that lens was made and the Ilex shutters were very popular.

Ole Tjugen
23-Apr-2008, 13:53
That lens will have been made around 1920 - assuming it's a C. P. Goertz Berlin lens and not a Goertz USA lens. That's before the "standardisation" of shutter sizes, so yours is a perfectly normal one that only fits its own barrel or shutter.

The best shutter I've found for mine is a Speed Graphic camera. ;)

svlindbe
23-Apr-2008, 14:08
Thank you for your information! I have investigated a little more, and find that the cells can be screwed into the barrel of an old, unmarked casket set that I have, although the pitch of the tread is wrong. This barrel has spacing rings front and rear, each adding about 6,5 mm to the length of the barrel. This makes me wonder even more what will be the correct spacing for this lens?

Svein

Ole Tjugen
23-Apr-2008, 14:14
Svein, I'll measure mine tomorrow. I have one of those somewhere - a "real" German one, not the US copy...

svlindbe
23-Apr-2008, 14:29
Thank you, Ole, and I read in one of your numerous postings that you did use someting like this... My lens is marked "C.P. Goerz Berlin" and "Dagor 1:6,8 F=16,5 cm". I suppose that is the german edition. It is not coated, but seems to be crystal clear.

Svein

Ole Tjugen
25-Apr-2008, 00:43
Svein, I remembered wrong: Mine is a 180mm, and made around 1909. :(

svlindbe
25-Apr-2008, 06:01
Any others having this lens? Would you care to measure it front to back?

Svein L

J. Patric Dahlen
11-Jul-2008, 12:50
I have a 168/6,8 Dagor and exactly the same problem. It came in a non-working Compur (with lots of parts missing, and the rest corroded), and I can't find a shutter that the cells fit in.

I think the only way to go, would be to get a larger shutter size and let a machinist to make an adapter.

Ash
11-Jul-2008, 14:00
I made my own adapter for my 180/6,8 Dagor. It's not too difficult if you can find something that threads into a Copal shutter properly. I used the remnants from the previous lens.

See here for pressure fitting:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26358

Here for extra info in how I semi-permanently fitted it:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26394

This has a few extra pics and an additional mod to fit a lens hood:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29097&page=2

All these "botch" techniques should be possible with your lens.