PDA

View Full Version : max bellows ext. for Arca Swiss 45FC

zippy
13-Mar-2001, 21:12
Although I know that the collapsing rail on the 4x5 FC Arca Swiss is listed at 30 cm. I 'd like to know what is the maximum distance between standards. If I can interepret the pictures I've seen of the camera, the standard itself takes up a 1-2 cm; is this correct? Thanks-

Ellis Vener
14-Mar-2001, 09:58
Yes this is true, but you can turn the standard holders around. the bellows themselves are good for 38cm.

Ellis Vener
14-Mar-2001, 10:43
Correction!

Also I didn't mean just reversing the standards (these are what the bellows attach to) but meant reversing the function carriers. You might achieve the same thing by reversing the positions of the front and rear standards. I got the idea from a photo in "View Camera" of Jack Dykinga operating his FC camera.

Glenn Kroeger
14-Mar-2001, 12:59
With the 30cm folding rail, and standards in normal configuration, you get about 25cm of flange-film maximum.

Just another quick note about Dykinga's camera... he has also reversed the block on the carrier so that the tilt/swing knobs are on the same side as the focus knobs... he is left handed (so am I but I haven't gone this far yet).

zippy
14-Mar-2001, 13:34
So I wonder what the rearranged camera gives one in terms of bellows length? Maybe 5 cm max additional?? I'm left handed too! All of this is helpful in trying to decide between a compact 4x5 f- line classic camera and the compact version. Yesterday I put a 210 mm lens ( the longest lens I use) on my current camera and focussed down to about a18 inches away. The bellows is extended to about 13 inches or lets call it 33cm. Only a few times do I imagine getting closer. Dilemma dilemma! And of course I could buy the 25 cm extention rail for several hundred for those moments (it weighs 11 oz.!)

Jim Bright
14-Mar-2001, 22:48
If you're interested in more extension you might consider what was suggested to me and purchase the disovery along with the telescoping F series rail. It saves you hundreds of dollars over an f classic, and the discovery rail can be substituted for one of the telescoping sections (from what I'm told) of the F series rail. This should give you an extra six inches of extension. You should verify this with Jeff at Badger or Rod at Photomark though since this is second hand information. Jim

Gary Jones
16-Mar-2001, 13:34
In your second thread, you said you're focussing to about 18", I assume this is at infinity. If you're only doing landscape photography, then what you have now should be sufficient. However, bellows extension will be an issue if you're going to do close-up or tabletop photography with the 210mm lens as this requires more extension than infinity focus. This is less of an issue with shorter focal length lenses. I did exactly what Jim Bright is suggesting. I bought the 30cm telescopic rail, which extends to ~45cm(from Robert White). With the standard 30cm rail replacing one of the telescoping sections you get a 45cm rail without being extended. Then you can extend it up to ~60cm (way more than the standard bellows, but if you buy the long bellows you won't need more rail). One advantage of the telescopic rail is that the entire camera can shifted onto one telescoping section (~6" long), then the camera and rail section can be removed from the rail track and it will fit in a backpack.

Paul Schilliger
16-Mar-2001, 18:00
<<One advantage of the telescopic rail is that the entire camera can be shifted onto one telescoping section (~6" long), then the camera and rail section can be removed from the rail track and it will fit in a backpack. >>

This is what I was demonstrated by Martin Vogt from Arca-Swiss today and I was v ery impressed. Before, I could not figure me out how this camera could fit in a backpack. It seems that b uying the bag bellows and the extended bellows will suit all the needs. Bag bellows for up to 240 and extended with telescoping extension up to 600 if needed. This camera is much stiffer than I had thought and not so h eavy. Thanks for the brilliant demo, Martin. You have made a convert.

Paul Schilliger
16-Mar-2001, 18:06
The site software skipped the first part:

"One advantage of the telescopic rail is that the entire camera can shifted onto one telescoping section (~6" long), then the camera and rail section can be removed from the rail track and i t will fit in a backpack"

This is what I was demonstrated by Martin Vogt from Arca-Swiss today and I was v ery impressed. Before, I could not figure me out how this camera could fit in a backpack. It seems that b uying the bag bellows and the extended bellows will suit all the needs. Bag bellows for up to 240 and extended with telescoping extension up to 600 if needed. This camera is much stiffer than I had thought and not so h eavy. Thanks for the brilliant demo, Martin. You have made a convert.

Glenn Kroeger
16-Mar-2001, 21:29
Folks:

For 6x9, the 30cm folding rail is wonderful. For 4x5, I would highly recommend one of the telescopic optical bench setups. As Martin demonstrated to Paul, both standards fit on one 15cm segment, and the rest of the rail can be packed separately. With the 30cm telescopic bench, one can focus a 210mm lens to 1:1 when fully extended.

Glenn

zippy
16-Mar-2001, 22:21
Hello Glenn-- Yes I'm really all set to buy a classic 4x5 F now. Geared orbix is due to ship in two-three weeks so I'm waiting to hear on that-- as I shoot mostly in a studio---- The geared version sounds very cool and I am coming from axial front tilts. Thanks all for your comments-- David