PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 45S

scott russell
23-Apr-2008, 07:40
Anyone have any info on the Toyo 45S? I'm seeing them sold for 250-300 dollars and I'm looking to buy a cheap(ish) view camera. The only things describing it is that it's and "early" view camera. I'm mainly trying to figure out the weight to compare it to the C and CX

Ralph Barker
23-Apr-2008, 08:02
I bought my 45C almost 20 years ago, but I've never heard of a 45S. If the price is right, it might be OK, but I'd wonder about whether it takes the same parts as the 45C, G, etc. Parts interchangeability and modularity are two of the strong points of the recent models, I feel.

scott russell
23-Apr-2008, 10:17
here's the link:
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LF029990951740&brandcategoryname=Large%20Format&Mode=&item=10&ActivateTOC2=&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Per Madsen
23-Apr-2008, 11:41
It looks like something earlier than the 45C, 45E, 45F and 45G models.

I have a Toyo catalog from 1981 and it is not mentioned in that, so it
is pre-1981 at least.

scott russell
23-Apr-2008, 11:46
It looked a little less heavy duty, and perhaps lighter than a 45c. I'm looking for something cheaper in the 250-350 range regardless of age, as long as it still works fine. For example, i wouldnt mind buying a 45C instead of a CX because im sure they both essentially the same thing. I would be using it all outdoor, but definitely wouldn't be hiking with it or anything. most of the time i find myself setting my tripod up in the open bed of my pickup truck for the extra height, so the camera doesn't need to be carried far.

Sal Santamaura
23-Apr-2008, 12:19
here's the link:
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LF029990951740&brandcategoryname=Large%20Format&Mode=&item=10&ActivateTOC2=&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=2&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=That looks like a black version of the D45M. Seems to have a bail and geared shifts, which is why I say D45M and not D45A. I don't know what other differences it may exhibit beyond color. Painted surfaces on the D45A/D45M were light green.

Wally
30-Apr-2008, 10:38
Anyone have any info on the Toyo 45S? I'm seeing them sold for 250-300 dollars and I'm looking to buy a cheap(ish) view camera. The only things describing it is that it's and "early" view camera. I'm mainly trying to figure out the weight to compare it to the C and CX

I love mine. I bought it locally here in San Diego from Camera Exposure (Ken's getting ready to retire, so he's only open Fridays and Saturdays).

It's _exactly_ like an Omega D45M - I know, I bought one of the ones on eBay that were available recently. It's got geared front and read rise fall and shift, and non-geared tilt and swing.

It's cast metal, making it much more rigid than the 'plastic toyos'. Also makes it a bit heavy. In mine the paint has aged a bit and now looks like a very deep blue. My 'new' Omega is off-white.

It's got a removable bellows. I determined that the more modern Toyo bellows, which have a plastic frame, are a bit wider than the original. They fit - the flange is exactly the same - but the plastic flange catches on - and must be worked past - the tilt locking mechanism. Other than that minor difficulty and the fact that the Toyo 45S and D45M rails are machined stainless instead of hollow aluminum and are a different diameter, most parts are compatible. I can put my D45M's ground glass on my Toyo 45S, for example.

Michael Graves
30-Apr-2008, 13:08
I have both the 4x5 and the 5x7 version of this camera, and I love them. Quite sturdy. Modular design means I can take the bellows and front standard off the 4x5 and use it on the 5x7 as an extension and use my 19" Artar with it. I've only tried that stunt in the living room so far, but I have a shot planned for this weekends of some orchards in bloom that I want to use that combination in order to compress the perspective.