PDA

View Full Version : Nikon M 300mm Lens marked "D" for "Demo"?

LH1H17
23-Apr-2008, 07:07
Last week I acquired something a bit odd... a Nikon 300mm M Nikkor that has a red engraved capital "D" immediately after the serial number on the front lens element. The store described it as a "Demo" unit. Surely the infinite wisdom of this forum can enlighten me on this oddity... ;)

PS: I will post pictures tomorrow

Gene McCluney
23-Apr-2008, 11:17
It would be hard to "demo" a lens if it didn't work for taking "test" photos. If it works, it works. There are "some" photo products that have been made as "display" models that do not have any internals...but there is a difference between "display" and "demo".

LH1H17
30-Apr-2008, 06:05
It would be hard to "demo" a lens if it didn't work for taking "test" photos. If it works, it works. There are "some" photo products that have been made as "display" models that do not have any internals...but there is a difference between "display" and "demo".

This lens appears to be normal in all respects, so I believe the "D" is for "Demo".
The red "D" is engraved in a similar font to the rest of the lettering.

http://www.liangh.com/300MD/1.jpg

Jim Jirka
30-Apr-2008, 07:13
Maybe it is "D" for digital. :eek:

Bob Salomon
30-Apr-2008, 07:23
The D in the Apo-Rodagon-D indicated that that lens was made for duping.

LH1H17
30-Apr-2008, 15:14
all very curious... this weekend i need to go out somewhere and test a 8x10 with this lens :)

dsphotog
30-Apr-2008, 20:51
I was a Nikon dealer for 20+ years, our sales reps samples were not marked. In the 80's if we made a personal purchase thru Nikon they engraved our name (to prevent reselling).
The LF & enlarging lenses were considered "special optics' so may have been
marked as demo...
Sounds quite rare- I'd say keep it!!!
David Silva

Ben Chase
30-Apr-2008, 21:36
Maybe it's the Wayne Newton Edition? :)