PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 project

Albert Lombardi
21-Apr-2008, 21:38
Now that I decided to try LF the first thing that I need to do is build a camera.
Progress to date.

robert fallis
21-Apr-2008, 23:17
That's a nice set of bellows. Did you make them?
bob

walter23
21-Apr-2008, 23:23
Looks like you're halfway there. Good luck.

Albert Lombardi
22-Apr-2008, 07:57
That's a nice set of bellows. Did you make them?
bob

It was my first attempt, overall not bad. It took about six hours start to finish.

Ralph Barker
22-Apr-2008, 08:52
Good start, Albert.

Glenn Thoreson
23-Apr-2008, 11:14
You have the hardest parts done. That is a really nice bellows. I'm almost finished with my first 8X10 bellows. If it folds and doesn't look like it came from a landfill, I will be happy. If it looks as good as yours, I will be ecstatic. Nice job!

Jorge Gasteazoro
23-Apr-2008, 11:19
hmmm... it looks very nice but I am concerned about the joints you used. It looks like you used miter joints, are these as part of finger joints? Miter joints are not dimensionably stable and I am afraid your frame will warp with changes in humidity. If you plan to keep this frame I would reocment you put at least a couple of reinforcing spines on each corner.

Albert Lombardi
23-Apr-2008, 19:14
The completed parts have been assembled, I made three lens boards and a dust cover for the front. The back remains to be built. I am very grateful for all comments and suggestions. After I build a part I usually think of something that I would do differently. The mitre joints are used only on trim pieces and we all know that trim is only used to cover something that is unsightly, hopefully I wont need any more trim. Fully extended the bellows seem to sag a little much, probably because of the thick material that was used. Fully extended its 34 inches, compressed from outside to outside its 8 inches.

Brian Bullen
23-Apr-2008, 19:51
Albert, you've done very well. Your camera looks (and probably works) better than my Burke and James Grover. Get that back finished and enjoy it!

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Apr-2008, 20:19
Albert congratulations! It looks great. I built two cameras so far both ULF. 8x20 and just finished the 11x14. Didn't build my own bellows and yours looks very good. What material did you use? The back is a little tricky and it helps if you have a holder to build it around so you get the dimensions for the film plane. Nice going.

Jim

Dave Aharonian
23-Apr-2008, 20:37
That looks impressive Albert. When you're done you can start on the 7x17 for me!

Dave

Albert Lombardi
23-Apr-2008, 21:03
Albert congratulations! It looks great. I built two cameras so far both ULF. 8x20 and just finished the 11x14. Didn't build my own bellows and yours looks very good. What material did you use? The back is a little tricky and it helps if you have a holder to build it around so you get the dimensions for the film plane. Nice going.

Jim

Thanks for the compliments everyone, if you use a really cheap digital to take your pictures it misses a lot of the imperfections. The material for the outside covering was boat canvas and the inner was blackout curtain lining. I hope to have a film holder this weekend so that I can get started on the back.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Apr-2008, 21:34
[QUOTE=Albert Lombardi;342889]Thanks for the compliments everyone, if you use a really cheap digital to take your pictures it misses a lot of the imperfections.

Albert, I couldn't agree more! although I think you are wrong. It looks very well done. The great thing about this camera building stuff is the passion for the project. When the camera is done it is great to take that first image. It is so exciting! When I first used my 8x20 after a year and a half of building I did not know if it even worked when I took my first image. Looking at the ground glass of that 8x20 high in the Sierra Nevada mountains was such a thrill I will never forget. I think the other two photographers I was with will never forget my screams of joy. It was just as exciting when I pulled the first 8x20 neg out of the fix and saw a great image. The 11x14 was fun to build but I'm telling you it can get to be an addiction if you are not careful. I'm going to eventually build an 8x10 to replace my 100 year old Seneca Improved 8x10. But don't forget to burn some film when you are done and let us see the results.

JIm

Glenn Thoreson
24-Apr-2008, 11:30
I build a lot of cameras. Pinhole, 4X5, anything up to and including 8X10. It's what keeps me from going nuts, and I love it. Your camera looks very nice. Far better than my first attempt. I hope you get a lens and a back on it soon so you can enjoy it. I don't know if this will help but for backs, I try to keep an eye on the auction site for odd ones that nobody seems to want very bad. Just the springs and focus panel are worth more than some of them go for.

Albert Lombardi
28-Apr-2008, 19:08
Progress on the camera is a little slow but progressing. The back is just about complete and the GG holder is under construction. Any advice, suggestions on how to fasten the back to the camera would be greatly appreciated, also for the glass is there a preferred type or thickness:confused:

Dave Parker
28-Apr-2008, 19:26
Albert,

Anything between 2-3 mm will work for the screen. You need a couple of pieces of spring steel, so you can insert a film holder under the ground glass holder when you are ready to shoot, also make sure your ground glass is at the same plain as your film holder, or your focus will be off.

By the way, received and will be shipped very soon.

Dave

Albert Lombardi
29-Apr-2008, 07:34
Albert,

Anything between 2-3 mm will work for the screen. You need a couple of pieces of spring steel, so you can insert a film holder under the ground glass holder when you are ready to shoot, also make sure your ground glass is at the same plain as your film holder, or your focus will be off.

By the way, received and will be shipped very soon.

Dave

Thank you for the info on the glass and the delivery.

Albert

ic-racer
5-May-2008, 09:37
Good job!