PDA

View Full Version : Price Check on

BigSteveG
21-Apr-2008, 14:19
(1) Late model Deardorf 5x7 w/ extra (4x5 back) in Mint condition
(2) Wisner Expedition 4x5 in 8-9 condition.

Would buy either? Why or why not?

John Kasaian
21-Apr-2008, 14:28
I'd opt for the 'dorff, but I'm a 'dorffy kind of a guy ;)

The option of being able to shoot 5x7 is very attractive to me and I'd wager for anyone who'd buy such a camera from me if I should sell it somewhere down the road.
OTOH the Wizz would probably be more attractive to a dedicated backpacker.

I'd still opt for the 'dorff though---of course I'm already used to sugar-anting an 8x10 around :)

BigSteveG
21-Apr-2008, 14:49
"I'd opt for the 'dorff, but I'm a 'dorffy kind of a guy "

So why do you prefer the 'dorff? build? functionality?

Tom Perkins
21-Apr-2008, 15:53
I purchased an old Deardorff 5x7, with the 4x5 back last fall, and though I do not have a 4x5 Expedition, I have traveled extensively with another photographer who uses one. The Wisner has more movements and is lighter. It is difficult to set up and take down, very finicky. The Deardorff does not have shift, if you need it. You can use 4x5 wide angle lenses on the Wisner and they are trouble on the Deardorff; I have a 120 and it's tight. You can't make 5x7 contacts with the Wisner. The Wisner camera may have some quirks or failings; I would make sure I could handle it extensively before I bought it. If it's put together right and everything works, it is a thing of beauty. A mint late model Deardorff 5x7 is more of a tool than a piece of furniture, you can use it hard and it will likely survive you.

evan clarke
21-Apr-2008, 16:11
(1) Late model Deardorf 5x7 w/ extra (4x5 back) in Mint condition
(2) Wisner Expedition 4x5 in 8-9 condition.

Would buy either? Why or why not?

How much do you want to spend? How about a new Tachihara???...EC

John Kasaian
21-Apr-2008, 16:57
"I'd opt for the 'dorff, but I'm a 'dorffy kind of a guy "

So why do you prefer the 'dorff? build? functionality?

I've never had a Wiz, but I found my 'dorff very intuitive to use. I have had other cameras and while I can't fault them the 'dorff just suits me better so thats an idividual preference and probably useless to you---however the ability to make 5x7 contact prints using alternative processes if you want is a definate advantage to the 'dorff over the Wiz. If wieght is an overriding concern the Wiz would have to get the nod IMHO but 'dorffs aren't heavy, really, it is just that the Wiz is lighter (and a Nagaoka is even lighter!)
I can't comment on the Wiz' build quality but 'dorffs are exceptionally robust---as old as some of these cameras are and the adventures they've survived, they have to be!

thetooth
21-Apr-2008, 18:29
check midwest photo . i think they had a deal on a wisner expedition . around $1200.00

i own a 4x5 wisner technical that i am very pleased with . i have no experience with a deardorf .

BigSteveG
21-Apr-2008, 18:39
How much do you want to spend? How about a new Tachihara???...EC

You know....good question. I played w/ a Tachihara yesterday at the monthly camera show. Not to be rude or step on anyone's toes, but I found it quite flimsy. Also, the focusing knob was very sticky. Another issue is there seems to many of those for sale 2nd hand. That says something I think. The Wista cherry field I looked at was also a little like a bunch of sticks glued together. I am a little hard on things. Truth is I've already dropped the Cambo once...ooops, guess I'll never sell it here now!! All I had to do was pull one of the poles back out and she seems to be square again. I'm starting to consider the 'dorff 'cause I know the dealer pretty well and he may be willing to take in a MF camera in credit so I wouldn't have to plop down a mint for the new toy. Apparently, he has 10 or so Deardorffs at any given time from what he tells me.

BigSteveG
21-Apr-2008, 18:45
check midwest photo . i think they had a deal on a wisner expedition . around $1200.00

i own a 4x5 wisner technical that i am very pleased with . i have no experience with a deardorf .

Thanks.

Capocheny
21-Apr-2008, 19:07
Not to be rude or step on anyone's toes, but I found it quite flimsy. Also, the focusing knob was very sticky.

Hi Steve,

In comparing the Dorff to the Tachihara... the Dorff is much, much sturdier. All you have to do is to look at the difference in materials used for the rails, knobs, and gearing. Of course, this results in an increase in weight.

I'd have to agree with John K. in that the Dorff is quite an intuitive camera to use. And, it's certainly built to last a lifetime. But, as with most cameras, they don't seem to like being dropped. :)

I sold my 4x5/5x7 Dorff a short time ago in favor of an Arca Swiss. I found it difficult (personally) to use the 110XL on it because the bellows was made with a heavier material (but then, I didn't use a recessed board on it either.) YMMV.

Cheers

I don't know what your budget is but don't forget to take a look at the Chamonix... looks pretty functional and well-built as well.

BigSteveG
21-Apr-2008, 21:04
I was quoted a price of $2,200 on a new Chamonix 5x7.....

Capocheny
21-Apr-2008, 21:38
I was quoted a price of $2,200 on a new Chamonix 5x7.....

Hi Steve,

It sure is a fine looking camera though. :)

It looks to be a well-built camera too.

Cheers

Vaughn
21-Apr-2008, 22:01
I found the Tach 4x5 to be unsuitable for student use -- it just does not take the abuse. As a personal camera, it is fine. The toggle-type knobs broke and wood cracked on the back. Our Horseman Woodfields have lasted much much longer.

I owned a Raja 4x5 -- a direct copy of the 'Dorff Special...but still a sturdy beast. I eventually put a 'Dorff 5x7 back on the Raja (Raja copied the camera so well it fit right on) and enjoyed using it. It did not seem to weigh all that much -- but I had a yonger back and stronger legs then...and now I am use to carrying a Zone VI 8x10, so any 5x7 seems light!

vaughn

Brian Ellis
21-Apr-2008, 22:10
Unless you handled a Tachihara that was in very bad shape from someone's abuse, you won't find either the Deardorff or the Wisner to be significantly less "flimsy" than you found the Tachihara to be. I've owned two Tachiharas, two Deardorffs, and spent a lot of time with the Wisner Expedition at MidWest Photo Exchange so I have some experience with all three cameras. The Tachiharas I've owned (both purchased new) have been very well made, very solid, cameras.

As between the two cameras you mention, I'd probably go for the Wisner Expedition, just because it's lighter and has some geared movements which I like. If weight isn't important to you then either one would probably do equally well, both are excellent cameras. I didn't find the Expedition to be particularly difficult to set up or take down. I wonder if the camera Tom's friend owns isn't the Pocket Expedition rather than the Expedition. The Pocket Expedition has a reputation for being finicky.

John Berry
21-Apr-2008, 22:50
I have a traditional 4x5 Wiz and an 8x10 Dorff. I bought the Wiz new 15 or so years ago. Based mainly on the triple extension. I don't drag it behind the truck, but I don't treat it like a shelf queen either. I bought the Dorff three years ago. I has given me no inclination whatsoever to sell the Wiz and get a dorff. I have a bag bellows for the wiz, and a graflok back, not an option with the Dorff. 4x5 and wide lenses will be a problem with a 5x7 Dorff. I don't even see the reason for the extra money for the expedition over the traditional. Like guns, lighter is not always better. Weight saved with camera will be offset by extra weight carrying an umbrella to block the wind.

Donald Miller
22-Apr-2008, 00:15
Getting back to the original question, it looks as if, on the basis of format that you are comparing apples and oranges. I have owned three 8X10 Deardorffs (one later vintage) and I presently use a Traditional 5X7 Wisner. From that experience, I would say that I would go for the Wisner if you are only planning on 4X5. The reason is that my Wisner is a lot more solid than any of the Deardorffs I owned.

The Wisner has shifts and the Deardorff does not...you have to use opposing swings to even effect a limited shift with the Deardorff.

The Wisner had bag bellows, if you can find them...it is a lot better for using shorter lenses.

The other side of the coin is that 5X7 has almost twice the negative size that the 4X5 has...if you can find 5X7 holders.

Tom Perkins
22-Apr-2008, 05:37
Brian is right; it is the Wisner Pocket Expedition that is sometimes difficult to set up and take down.