PDA

View Full Version : Spectroscan-T/Spectrolino problem

Mike Boden
21-Apr-2008, 11:35
I have a Spectroscan-T that is not aligning properly over the aperture when I go into transmission mode. I have called Xrite to inquire about a repair and the price they quoted me is astronomical.

So...I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted this kind of repair themselves and successfully re-aligned the machine? If that's the case, could you please let me know if it's possible to repair myself or am I forced to sending the unit into Xrite.

Thank you.

IanMazursky
21-Apr-2008, 13:09
Hi Mike,

Contact Ernst Hohmann at Automation Engineering
(800) 321-5044
gretag-service-usa@att.net
http://www.dca.net/gretag-service-usa/

They are Gretag service professionals from way back. I sent my Spectroscan XY table to them for a repair some years ago. I think the fee was $500 to repair it.
You will do more damage to it trying to fix it. It is probably a firmware problem or an encoder problem.
It is not something you can fix without the service software.

Mike Boden
21-Apr-2008, 13:23
Thanks Ian. That's the exact type of information I was looking for. I'll contact Ernst and see what he says.

Thank you.

neil poulsen
21-Apr-2008, 17:30
I'm curious, what did they quote you?

I got a complete overhaul to the current standard on my spectrolino and the spectroscan X-Y table (not the T) before the merger with Gretag, and it was about $800. They paid the postage and insurance on the return trip. They even threw in two updated filters. This was on a contract deal.

Given that mine was the older technology with a different diameter, I thought that this was a good value.

Mike Boden
21-Apr-2008, 17:49
Xrite quoted me $1095, which was a set price to fix anything that was wrong with the unit. I'm not sure if this included re-calibrating the Spectrolino. They also didn't mention anything about the cost of return shipping/insurance.

As for Ernst at Automation Engineering, his quote is $450, and this includes an inspection of the Spectrolino to see if it specs out. Furthermore, I pay for shipping both directions.

neil poulsen
21-Apr-2008, 21:15
Mike,

Thanks. I was kind of curious. While you'd have to check, I'm pretty sure that would include calibration. They had to send mine to Switzerland.

It was Gretag who paid for my shipping and insurance. Very classy company, I thought. I was sorry to see them merge with X-Rite. I don't know about X-Rite policies on this.

Mine was such an extensive overhall, replacing all the works in the Spectrolino with the new technology, I thought it was a pretty good deal. They could easily have recommended that I buy a new one, which I couldn't have afforded.

Maybe Automation Engineering also does the calibration?

IanMazursky
22-Apr-2008, 08:45
Ernst is a great guy. He fixed my table very quickly. Saved my butt.
When i shipped my table in, the cost wasn't that bad. Make sure you pack it well. You dont want to damage it more in shipping.
IIRC AE only does one thing for $450. The table or the spectrolino.

Mike Boden
22-Apr-2008, 08:56
Ian,

True, the $450 only covers the cost of fixing the Spectroscan. But Ernst throws in a complimentary check of the Spectrolino. If there's problems, then any repairs and costs are discussed at that point. Seems fair to me.

Thanks again for the heads up.

pherold
22-Apr-2008, 10:54
Hi Mike,
I'm sorry I'm coming late to this thread, but a long time ago the Graphic Intelligence Agency put out a pdf called SpectroScan Tips in which they provide a procedure called "Calibration of the Origen":

"The following procedure is used to calibrate the
positions of white references on the
SpectroScan and position of the transmission
lamp module on the SpectroScanT. "

It's just a simple procedure to calibrate the positioning of the instrument, and it sound just like what you're looking for.

I don't have time to post it anywhere today, but if you shoot me an email, I can send it to you.

-Patrick Herold
herold(at)chromix.com