PDA

View Full Version : 6x9 film roll back for Wista DX 4x5.

jordanstarr
21-Apr-2008, 10:04
Hey guys and gals...
I'm having a little trouble trying to wrap my head around how to get a 6x9 roll filmback for my Wista DX 4x5 field camera. I'm looking at all the different brands available and there is obviously ones that require a certain kind of adapter. But then there's ones like the Horseman, Graflex and Wista (type N) that appear as though they would fit if I just take off my ground glass back completely. However, I can't be entirely sure because some require the Graflock (international) back. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to go about this so that I don't spend a lot of money on something that doesn't work.

I don't have a digital camera so I can't take pictures of my camera, but I think most of you know the physics of this camera if you're reading this. When I rotate the back of the camera there's 2 corner clips and 2 corner slots. To remove the back you simply unlatch the clips and slide it out of the slots. Many of the 6x9 holders I see out there look like they can just slide in once I've done all my focusing, etc. on the 4x5 ground glass back. Does this make sense? I have a gut feeling I'm missing some important information -it can't be that easy, can it?

Thanks in advance...
Jordan.

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2008, 10:08
We are the Wista distributor. If you would like us to explain the options to you just call us at 800 735-4373.

Matt Miller
21-Apr-2008, 10:16
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33148&highlight=wista+6x9

I had a Wista 6x9 back that slid under the ground glass. It worked beautifully that way. I have some photos on my old FS ad on this site.

jordanstarr
21-Apr-2008, 10:40
Matt...

I can't view that link. Could you please email me the photos or text of what you're sending? j_r_starr@hotmail.com.

Also, won't the back wreak my ground glass or destroy my springs?

Thanks..Jordan.

Darryl Baird
21-Apr-2008, 19:31
...like this? a Tachihara with a Horseman 6x12 back inserted (carefully) under the ground glass.

LFstudent
21-Apr-2008, 19:39
Why bother, you're using a 4x5 camera. Why not use 4x5 film. Cropping is not a sin.

Darryl Baird
21-Apr-2008, 19:54
...haha:p , true, but it is a waste of film

Why bother, you're using a 4x5 camera. Why not use 4x5 film. Cropping is not a sin.

Alex Tymków
22-Apr-2008, 10:03
Hi, Ihave a Wista DX and use a Cambo 6x9 RFH, it slides behind the ground glass like a darkslide. I am including a picture. I stuck two strips of card to the back so that the GG frame pressed flat on the back. Alex

GPS
22-Apr-2008, 10:13
The Cambo 6x9 RFB is a good solution. There was a time I used an Osaka sliding back with a Horseman 6x9 RFB, light enough and easy.

IanG
22-Apr-2008, 11:18
I have a Wista DX 45 and a Wista 6x9 back, it slips under the 5x4 back with ease and is no problem.

It's superb and works well, it has a plate to ensure the 5x4 focus screen isn't damaged. I've used it extensively over the past 20 years.

Ian

jordanstarr
23-Apr-2008, 19:33
Thanks a ton for the photos guys. I'm going to browse ebay and see what I can find for backs. I was thinking of getting a graflock back especially for it, but the cambo seems to be very flat...
As for the cropping comment, I thought of that possibilty already and it would make sense, but I file out my negative holders for borders and I have a ton of 120 film in the freezer that can get used. It was a good suggestion though regardless. If you think about the $100 of savings by not buying a specialized back could buy me 100 sheets of 4x5 film (approx.), but I think I'll shoot way more than 100 shots with this back. Thanks for the advise anyway.

Darryl Baird
23-Apr-2008, 20:11
Jordan, before venturing into eboy! territory, search the threads on film flatness of the Cambo roll backs. There was a time when the backs were not made well and film flatness was a major weakness. They (greatly) improved the quality control and those are the backs you want to buy. I can't remember how to tell the difference, but hopefully you'll find an appropriate discussion here, APUG. or Photo.net.

good luck

jordanstarr
25-Apr-2008, 14:57
How can they not get the film flatness right on a rollback? Just thinking about it logically the tension should be enough to keep it flat, no?

Darryl Baird
25-Apr-2008, 17:43
yes, the answer is no :D

check out these threads and other sites for more info:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/37264-cambo-6x12-roll-film-holder.html#post440395

http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0001td

http://tinyurl.com/5r7d6m

GPS
26-Apr-2008, 03:52
I've been using a Cambo 6x12 (!) RFH, the "newer" type for more than 12 years. No problem with the film flatness but a problem with the winding mechanism (repaired after getting a few parts from a Cambo technician).