PDA

View Full Version : Finding lenboards for a Kodak 2D

BarryS
21-Apr-2008, 07:18
Anyone know a good source for some lensboards and a Technika board adapter for my Kodak 2D? I found a guy on eBay and ordered some, but they never showed up and the guy wouldn't respond to repeated emails. He only responded after I filed a paypal dispute and still wouldn't give me any information and threatened to leave negative eBay feedback for me (!!). So I'm looking for a source of reasonably priced boards and adapters that look good and don't cost a fortune (it's a 2D, not an Ebony).

Mark Sawyer
21-Apr-2008, 08:13
If you get desparate, I could sell you a few blanks for cheap ($5 plus shipping), but you'd have to drill the lens hole yourself. I make mine of Pergo, a composite material with a simulated wood appearance that's used for flooring. Very stable, but tough on hole saws. I use a spiral bit in a drill press.

With a table saw, a trimmer/router, and a drill press, you can make your own pretty easily.

Scott Davis
21-Apr-2008, 08:17
Barry- If you have a single example, I can make some for you if you supply the wood.

Jim Jones
21-Apr-2008, 08:59
A 6x6 inch square of 1/4 thick plywood (or similar material) will serve as a basic lensboard. A square of adhesive backed foam from a hobby shop works well for the raised light trap on the back of the board.

Steve Hamley
21-Apr-2008, 09:02
Richard Ritter can make both.

http://www.lg4mat.net/

Steve

BarryS
21-Apr-2008, 09:06
Thanks for the offers and info. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those tools, Mark. Scott-- I may take you up on the offer if I can find some readily available mahogany or similar wood. I'd like to get something that looks a little nicer than plywood, since it's such a small amount of wood.

Brian Ellis
21-Apr-2008, 09:51
I've owned a 2D. Great camera. I'd have Richard Ritter make the adapter and not worry about getting 2D boards. While you're at it, have him put front tilt on your camera. He did that for about $250 for me and it was well worth the cost.

Ken Lee
21-Apr-2008, 10:45
Richard made a Technika adaptor for my 5x7 Kodak 2 D. Perfecto.

Turner Reich
21-Apr-2008, 15:19
Pay someone a hundred dollars to "machine" one for you or do it yourself for less than a buck. It's not rocket science, it's making two cuts and drilling one hole.

Mark Sawyer
21-Apr-2008, 17:12
Pay someone a hundred dollars to "machine" one for you or do it yourself for less than a buck. It's not rocket science, it's making two cuts and drilling one hole.

...unless you don't have the tools, which will set you back about $200.

Barry: Adapter boards are nice, but I suspect you'll eventually want a few full-sized boards too, for bigger lenses.

BarryS
21-Apr-2008, 17:51
Believe me, I wish I had a wood shop--the tools, space, and the skills to use it. I'm reasonably handy within the limits of my time and tools. I completely disassembled and reassembled my 2D in order to clean up all the hardware. Being a single dad with two small kids, a demanding job, volunteer commitments, and a love of photography doesn't leave me a lot of time to take on woodworking. :) I have the greatest admiration for you guys that can build and modify large format gear.

I'll check with Mr Ritter, no doubt he does fine work, although maybe a bit dear for a 2D. I plan to use the Technika adapter with a few of my smaller lenses that cover 8x10--the Docter Germinar 240mm and my Nikkor-M 300mm. For anything else, I plan to use standard 2D-sized (6"x6") lens boards.

Oren Grad
21-Apr-2008, 19:27
I plan to use the Technika adapter with a few of my smaller lenses that cover 8x10--the Docter Germinar 240mm and my Nikkor-M 300mm. For anything else, I plan to use standard 2D-sized (6"x6") lens boards.

Barry, that's more or less what I do for my WP Eastman, which takes the 6" boards. I have adapter boards for both Technika and Toyo/Canham boards, which lets me swap smaller lenses with other cameras, but I also have a big 300mm Caltar II-N on a 6" board, dedicated for the time being to the WP Eastman. The Technika adapter is an old one that I stumbled across, and Richard made the Toyo adapter for me.

goamules
23-Apr-2008, 15:33
I make all my boards, and have NOT been doing this long, nor am I a woodworker. What I am is A. Cheap, and B. Impatient. I buy a lens, I want to use it - fast.

I've been using brown masonite, the stuff they make pegboards out of (you can get it without holes). I cut one square to fit, cut another smaller to fit the inside "notch" or lighttrap. I gorilla glue them together, rough side in on both. When dry I use a home depot hole saw set (about 15 bucks) and cut a suitable size with my drill. No drill press, a hand drill. I've made about 10 lensboards for my 2D and speed graphic. Spraypaint and enjoy.

I bet I have about 4 dollars in each. I'm getting ready to make one now....for a Saturday gig. There's other things I have to buy, but not a simple square of wood.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2378/2437655708_872b6c0a3e.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2437655700_b56a01d550.jpg

BarryS
23-Apr-2008, 21:21
Very nice, I like the look of that brass lens. I may try and make a few boards myself.

Another forum member PM'd me and apparently got taken by the same ebay seller, so a word of caution before you deal with oaklandlenscom aka jorge moreno. I have no idea as to his real name.

David Karp
23-Apr-2008, 21:31
Barry,

I don't have much time or a workshop, but I was able to make this: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26278&highlight=seneca+technika

The only major tool needed was the drill press needed to make a nice hole for the adapter. I don't have one, but know someone who does. It takes as long as you need it to take, and it was kind of fun.

If I did not do this, I would have called Richard Ritter, as recommended by the others.

Wayne R. Scott
23-Apr-2008, 21:43
I will second the caution on oaklandlenscom. I paid for a lens board adapter and never received it. I sure would not send him a lens to mount into a lens board.

I just made my own lens boards from baltic birch plywood from a home improvement store.

Any body else get ripped off by oaklandlenscom?

Wayne

goamules
24-Apr-2008, 06:33
Because his boards were so reasonable, I sent a question about one (asking if he could make other sizes, I need 4.5"). I got no response. He has a good feedback (relatively) and has done lots of business. May just be "busy", but I think I'll look elsewhere.

sparq
24-Apr-2008, 07:31
I make humble 6x6 lens boards for Deardorff from black foam core sheets. They work suprisingly well for what I need from them, please don't laugh. ;-) The largest lens I mounted in one was a 7'' Aero Ektar. All you need is a sharp knife, a cutting mat, a ruler, and a glue stick.

Jon Shiu
24-Apr-2008, 08:36
I will second the caution on oaklandlenscom. I paid for a lens board adapter and never received it. I sure would not send him a lens to mount into a lens board.

I just made my own lens boards from baltic birch plywood from a home improvement store.

Any body else get ripped off by oaklandlenscom?

Wayne

I did order 2 lens boards for a 2D a few months ago and received them quickly and they fit fine. Was going to order more because of the low cost for a finished board, but not sure now after hearing about other's experiences.

Jon

Dave Parker
24-Apr-2008, 11:35
I have been making my own lensboards for several years now, they carry good quality plywoods at the hobby shops, that is very easy to work with, even with hand tools, there really is not any science involved in making a wood lensboard, I have even made a few conversation boards to mount other lensboards on a camera..they are very simple to make..

Dave

Glenn Thoreson
24-Apr-2008, 11:49
I make my own, too. I get 1/4 Baltic Birch plywood from rockler.com. They have it in 12"X30" and 24"X30" pieces, so I don't have to buy a whole sheet and it ships UPS. The price is right, too. We don't have a lumber yard round here.

Wayne R. Scott
9-May-2008, 20:57
This just an update on oaklandlenscom. Today May 9th, 2008 I received my lens board adapter for my Kodak 2D. The adapter board holds the 4"x4" lens boards just fine. A little tweaking will be necessary for the adapter to fit into the old Kodak 2D, but I find this acceptable when dealing with 80 year old wood.

I do find the wait of 3.5 months distasteful. But, in the end he did come through with the lens board, plus he sent a blank 2D lens board that I can use for another lens.

Wayne

Turner Reich
9-May-2008, 23:40
I make mine out of Aluminum sheet with the hole cut on a drill press. I cut the sheet to size with a dedicated table saw with a nonferrous aluminum cutting blade, it can be used with brass etc. also. Cleanup the edges and paint with Krylon.

Vaughn
9-May-2008, 23:59
I make humble 6x6 lens boards for Deardorff from black foam core sheets. They work suprisingly well for what I need from them, please don't laugh. ;-) The largest lens I mounted in one was a 7'' Aero Ektar. All you need is a sharp knife, a cutting mat, a ruler, and a glue stick.

Not laughing...I have two boards I have been using for a long time on my Zone VI 8x10 that are made of a piece of white 8 ply mat board drymounted to a piece of 4 ply black mat board -- then I cut the hole out with a exacto blade.

One of these days I get "real" lensboards for those lenses (19" RD artar and a 210mm Wollie).

What I need to figure out is how to make a lensboard that will work with my monster 600mm Rodenstock f9. The lens has a greater diameter than my 5.5" boards.

Vaughn