PDA

View Full Version : How bulky Linhof M679c for landscapes is?

AlexLF
21-Apr-2008, 03:30
Hi!

I'm considering to get a Linhof 679c for architecture and landscapes. But I wonder is it possible to put it in a backpack and haul it around?

Thanks!

Mattg
22-Apr-2008, 17:26
Hi Alex,
I haven't used or even seen a 679 but have used other 6x9 cameras for landscapes for some time.

In considering which camera I would use I was interested in: speed of setup and takedown, weight, precision (keeping planes paralel when they should be), ease of use/logical control positioning, and good range of movements, oh and cost.

The 679 fails fairly spectacularly on the ease of use/quick setup score because it has a head included, so every time you want to put it on your tripod you have to screw it on. It's also a fairly heavy camera compared to an Arca F-line or the Technikardan S. In short I think the 679 would be something you might consider against an Arca M-line for use with a digital back, for 6x9cm film a lighter camera is appreciated in the field.

BTW both the Technikardan S and the Arca F-line are great field cameras for 6x9cm film. Also the Ebony non-folding cameras are good if you're not going to use ultra-wide angle lenses (<55mm).

Ben Chase
22-Apr-2008, 19:00
Couple it with a Phase One P45+ back and you are in business! All you need is a spare $35,000 (USD) or so.....

I backpack with a Linhof TK45s, and from pictures, it doesn't appear that the M679c is any bigger, so my answer would be yes. :)

Photobackpacker (http://www.photobackpacker.com) makes a great product that may apply in your situation, either a Custom Kelty that you can use to backpack it around, or I believe they still make a backer board that can be custom fitted to the particular backpack you use. I do this with my Arcteryx Bora 90 and it works like a champ. The case and lenses all stick together with heavy duty hook and loop enclosures to the backer board.

At some point, I'll hook up some pictures and an article on my site that shows a few methods that work for extended backpacking excursions with 4x5 gear - they of course would apply to medium format also.

David A. Goldfarb
22-Apr-2008, 19:22
People carry much larger cameras for landscapes, so if you really like this system, you'll figure out a way to transport it. If you're choosing a 6x9 camera because you want something light and compact, this isn't the one.

For most architecture and landscape work, you don't really need this kind of camera, which is more suited to studio and tabletop photography, particularly with digital backs. It has some built-in conveniences for panoramas, so if you wanted to do some really big panos with a high-end digital back, that might be a reason to take this camera into the field, but there are more compact options for that as well.

Ling Z
23-Apr-2008, 08:32
It has some built-in conveniences for panoramas, so if you wanted to do some really big panos with a high-end digital back, that might be a reason to take this camera into the field, but there are more compact options for that as well.

But the Linhof M679cc or the lastest M679cs has a very small amount of shift ability, I doubt it can generate big panos by stitching.

Bob Salomon
23-Apr-2008, 10:52
But the Linhof M679cc or the lastest M679cs has a very small amount of shift ability, I doubt it can generate big panos by stitching.

The cs has 20mm of total shift on each standard. If you do indirect shifts there is a total of 168mm of indirect shift with longer lenses and 38mm of indirect shift with 47mm and shorter lenses. In addition the Rapid Change Adapter Slide units offer additional stitching ability when they are used.

AlexLF
26-Apr-2008, 15:31
Thank you, guys! I think I have to go to some store and try it.