PDA

View Full Version : What the * @#$% is this on my beloved 210 SSXL?!?

Richard K.
20-Apr-2008, 12:00
OK, I haven't used this lens in a few months but why are the gods mad at me?!? It seems that a plaque has struck my beloved Super Symmar 210 mm XL:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/210Lens.jpg

*gosh darn

What the gosh darn is this on the edges of the lens elements?!? I don't think it's fungus or separation. It's not loose like dust. It looks like crystalizing glue?!?!? Is it Schneideritis (what is that?)? Will this affect performance now/eventually? Will it spread? If it is a glue weirdness thing, will Schneider honour its life-time warranty? Help!

-Richard, depressed

David A. Goldfarb
20-Apr-2008, 12:02
It's just the black paint flaking off the edges of the elements. It's not a big deal. It is called "Schneideritis," because it's very visible on Schneider lenses that have large front elements with beveled edges, but many lenses have this.

Glenn Thoreson
20-Apr-2008, 12:07
Schneideritis. It doesn't seem to affect anything unless the little flakes start sticking to the glass surface. All you have to do then is blow them out. Didn't Schneider used to repair these at little or no cost?

Richard K.
20-Apr-2008, 12:07
Are you sure, David, are you sure? :) So my poor little lens is not THAT ill? It will still perform its little heart out? Seriously David thanks!

-Richard

Richard K.
20-Apr-2008, 12:09
Glenn, thanks too for reply. I will ask Jeff at Badger if Schneider will do anything - but maybe nothing needs to be done?

-Richard

Capocheny
20-Apr-2008, 12:29
Richard,

Nothing really needs to be done on the lens... a few of mine look exactly the same as yours.

If you can take a photograph of the area... send it to Schneider and they'll respond back with a quote for the repair. I had a slightly worse problem on my 355 and the cost to repair the area was NOT inexpensive.

If I were in your shoes... I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Cheers

Ron Marshall
20-Apr-2008, 12:48
OK, I haven't used this lens in a few months

-Richard, depressed

That's what happens to lenses that feel neglected!

Songyun
20-Apr-2008, 13:26
That's what happens to lenses that feel neglected!

:D :p :p

John Kasaian
20-Apr-2008, 13:40
Yep, Schneideritis.

Like a wrinkle on Sophia Loren, it means absolutely nothing in terms of beauty conveyed.

Enjoy that Sophi----uhhh ----SSXL! ;)

cyrus
20-Apr-2008, 14:24
Actually, all joking aside, there is nothing you could do to prevent Schneideritis.
And I believe Schneider won't do anything to fix it since it is really just a cosmetic problem.

Sergey Botvin
20-Apr-2008, 14:39
...So my poor little lens is not THAT ill?

-Richard

Well... I wouldn't call it poor nor... little :D .
Seriously it will perform as well as before IMHO.

Ole Tjugen
20-Apr-2008, 14:45
And I believe Schneider won't do anything to fix it since it is really just a cosmetic problem.

Would you say that to Sophia Loren? :eek: :D

cyrus
20-Apr-2008, 16:23
Would you say that to Sophia Loren? :eek: :D

I've decided I'm too young to know who Sophia Loren is.

http://www.movietreasures.com/SigPix/04b/b017_loren.jpg

Frank Petronio
20-Apr-2008, 16:51
Isn't that a $2000 lens? It's ridiculous that Schneider would let this continue 20-30 years after they've known their paint flakes like that... even if it has no effect on the image it is shoddy.

Darcy Cote
20-Apr-2008, 17:20
I believe that someone called them on the lifetime warranty on one of their Schneider lenses with Sneideritis and they repaired it.

Darcy Cote
20-Apr-2008, 17:25
This Schneider lens is warranted by Schneider Optics, Inc. (Schneider) to be free of defects in material and workmanship as long as it is owned by the consumer purchaser named on the warranty certificate. During this period Schneider will repair without charge any lens which is found to be defective in material or workmanship.

If at the time of original purchase a shutter is an integral part of the lens, then Schneider will further warranty that the shutter be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from date of purchase, SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS:

1. THE LENS MUST HAVE BEEN SOLD BY SCHNEIDER OPTICS, INC. TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER IN THE UNITED STATES.

2. THIS WARRANTY EXTENDS TO THE ORIGINAL CONSUMER PURCHASER ONLY AND IS NON-ASSIGNABLE OR TRANSFERABLE.

3. THIS WARRANTY WILL NOT APPLY TO THE FOLLOWING:

a) ANY PRODUCT WHICH, IN SCHNEIDER'S JUDGMENT, HAS BEEN SUBJECT TO MISUSE, ABUSE, ALTERATION, NEGLIGENCE OR ACCIDENT

b) ANY DEFECTS OR DAMAGE WHICH, IN SCHNEIDER'S JUDGMENT, IS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY CAUSED BY THE USE OF UNAUTHORIZED REPLACEMENT PARTS AND/OR SERVICE PERFORMED BY UNAUTHORIZED PERSONNEL.

ALL WARRANTIES SPECIFIED HEREIN, OR IMPLIED BY LAW, SHALL BE FOR THE PERIODS SPECIFIED ABOVE. THE WARRANTIES HEREIN ARE EXPRESSLY IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER EXPRESSED WARRANTIES INCLUDING THE PAYMENT OF CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES FOR THE BREACH OF ANY WARRANTY. THE SOLE OBLIGATION OF SCHNEIDER IS TO REPAIR OR REPLACE (WITH SAME OR SIMILAR PRODUCT) ANY DEFECTIVE LENS OR SHUTTER (OR COMPONENT PART THEREOF) AS THE CASE MAY BE.

SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW (a) LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, OR (b) THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

In order to obtain performance of the warranty obligations, the original consumer-purchaser must return the product to:

Schneider Optics, Inc.
7701 Haskell Avenue
Van Nuys CA 91406

All postage, shipping, transportation, insurance and delivery costs must be prepaid. All requests should include a description of the claimed defect and reference to the certificate number on the warranty certificate.

Ling Z
20-Apr-2008, 17:38
My 210SSXL had a similar problem two years ago, and John with Schneider Optics did a fantastic repair job to fix it for $300. It's completely like new when it's returned to me from their Service Department. I would suggest you talk to John first, he's very nice and helpful.

Per my discussion with John, this could be caused by the paint outgassing instead of the famous Schneideritis as the paint was not sealed very well. John also suggested I not send to Schneider Headquarter for repair as it would take a very long time (6 months to even one year). He fixed my lens within three weeks.

wfwhitaker
20-Apr-2008, 17:44
Schneideritis, cellulite.... What's the world coming to??

cyrus
20-Apr-2008, 17:47
As I have been told, since this does not affect the len performance, Schneider insists that it does not constitute a "defect" and so the warranty does not apply

Toyon
20-Apr-2008, 18:02
I've seen the same thing on another 210 SS. However, I do think Schneider ought to repair the "damage."

Ling Z
20-Apr-2008, 18:05
As I have been told, since this does not affect the len performance, Schneider insists that it does not constitute a "defect" and so the warranty does not apply

When I had the discussion with John at Schneider Optics, I was told the problem should be fixed as soon as possible since sooner or later it would start to damage the coating.

Glenn Thoreson
20-Apr-2008, 18:09
I do things the easy way. I buy the lens after it already has Schneideritis. That way I don't have to wait for it to develop. Did I mention that some people are so afraid of this malady that it knocks the price down? Sometimes way down. I love it! I couldn't afford it otherwise.

Richard K.
20-Apr-2008, 20:21
My 210SSXL had a similar problem two years ago, and John with Schneider Optics did a fantastic repair job to fix it for $300. It's completely like new when it's returned to me from their Service Department. I would suggest you talk to John first, he's very nice and helpful.

Hi Ling;

Could you please give me the contact information for John at Schneider? I'd like to contact him about fixing my Schneideritis...thanks.

-Richard

Darcy Cote
20-Apr-2008, 20:22

Do I see a class action?

Ling Z
20-Apr-2008, 20:22
Hi Ling;

Could you please give me the contact information for John at Schneider? I'd like to contact him about fixing my Schneideritis...thanks.

-Richard

PM sent.

cyrus
21-Apr-2008, 10:03
Do I see a class action?

Not if it ain't a "defect"...

Armin Seeholzer
21-Apr-2008, 14:52
Sent the lens to my I pay for shippment and I will shoot for the next 20 years with it without any problems and no repair!
Just tell me if you need my adress;--))))

Armin

Richard K.
21-Apr-2008, 15:27
Sent the lens to my I pay for shippment and I will shoot for the next 20 years with it without any problems and no repair!
Just tell me if you need my adress;--))))

Armin

Armin, much as I appreciate your kindness, I'm afraid that Canadian law prevents me from sending a potentially dangerous* object to one of our best friend nations. My hands are tied. I'll just have to carry on and assume the risk myself. But, THANK YOU! :rolleyes:

*maybe I'm just imagining things, but it seems that there is some whitish speculation (i.e. presence of specs) around the cornea of MY eyes. If this IS contagious, I obviously could not be irresponsible and chance infecting an innocent person...

Kerik Kouklis
21-Apr-2008, 15:37
Hey man, you gotta use it or lose it! :)

Richard K.
21-Apr-2008, 20:23
I know Kerik, I know! I been getting out there now that there's not 10' of snow outside my front door! :D
BTW how's your doughnut supply?

Darcy Cote
23-Apr-2008, 14:21
How can they say Schneideritis is not a defect when we never heard of nikonitis or fujinonitis or rodenstockitis?!!!

Once
23-Apr-2008, 14:47
What the * @#$% is this on my beloved 210 SSXL?!?

Why the question when you know it? It is the @#$% !

Jorge Gasteazoro
23-Apr-2008, 15:50
How can they say Schneideritis is not a defect when we never heard of nikonitis or fujinonitis or rodenstockitis?!!!

LOL...there is that. isn't it? OTOH, I do have a 355 G Claron that does exhibit some of it, just not to the degree that the schniders do.

cyrus
23-Apr-2008, 19:46

As I have been told from 3rd parties, Schneider says that it doesn't affect the function of the lens, and so it is not a defect.

Jorge Gasteazoro
23-Apr-2008, 21:08
Which begs the question, if it does not affect the function of the lens, then why put the coating in the first place?

cyrus
23-Apr-2008, 23:18
Which begs the question, if it does not affect the function of the lens, then why put the coating in the first place?

Another interesting question is about epistemological implications of how they define "defect" in terms of affecting lens function:

If something is a defect, it affects lens function.

If something affects lens function, it is a defect.

Hmmm....I think that's what students of rhetoric call a fallacy of tautological (circular) definition.

Reminds me of the dictionary that defined a hill as "smaller than a mountain", and then defined a mountain as "larger than a hill", or which defined Britain as "an island surrounded by water" (as if there's any other type of island?)

Ole Tjugen
24-Apr-2008, 00:11
LOL...there is that. isn't it? OTOH, I do have a 355 G Claron that does exhibit some of it, just not to the degree that the schniders do.

G-Clarons are made by Schneider...

"Rodenstickitis", if there were any such word, would be far more serious: Some Rodenstock lenses from some years of production have a higher frequency of separation than most others...

EuGene Smith
24-Apr-2008, 05:44
Lens? What lens? I'm old enought to be familiar with Sophia Loren . . . though not as familiar as I would have liked. Thanks for the picture, Cyrus!

Colin Graham
24-Apr-2008, 09:54
Reminds me of the (very tired) joke about the guy who walks into a doctor's office with a frog on his head. The fog says Hey doc, what can you do to get this guy off my ass?