PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma - what accessories DOESN'T it take?

snuck
19-Apr-2008, 16:52
So here's the thing... I managed to finally score a Sinar Norma at a reasonable price. Now I'm interested in outfitting it with various components. Now I keep hearing that there are a whole whack of newer Sinar components that are compatible with this... Very well.. but If so many items are compatible, it would be much simpler to avoid the things that aren't compatible. Hence my question: What things Sinar P or F or whatever, are NOT compatible with the Norma? I'm most interested in outfitting the thing with a 5x7 back.

Cheers

PS: Can't be more heavy than my clunker of a combat graphic...

Daniel Unkefer
19-Apr-2008, 17:56
Snuckerpuss,
The Rear Norma Rail is interchangeable on the 4x5 and 5x7 Normas. I guess you have a 4x5, right?

So your best bet IMO is to buy a 5x7 "Norma Conversion Kit" which consists of, the upper part of the 5x7 Norma Rear Standard, and the 5x7 Bellows. You simply completely unscrew the Threaded Rod with the Norma Knob, and pull it completely out. You can then re-attach the 5x7 Upper part of the Norma Rear Standard, and then you are in business.

I'd suggest you buy an original Norma Instrucion book for ten bucks on ebay, and study it, until you understand it completely. It is like a Mastercourse on the use of the Norma.

To further answer your question, mixing the old and new Sinar is a tough question to answer. Generally, there is complete system compatability, which wa always a selling point with Sinar. But, there are many things modern which will no go onto old (and vis-versa) so it's really going to be difficult to come up with a list.

-Dan, if I were you, I'd stick to the old original stuff. Hard to go wrong there.

Ron Marshall
19-Apr-2008, 17:56
So here's the thing... I managed to finally score a Sinar Norma at a reasonable price. Now I'm interested in outfitting it with various components. Now I keep hearing that there are a whole whack of newer Sinar components that are compatible with this... Very well.. but If so many items are compatible, it would be much simpler to avoid the things that aren't compatible. Hence my question: What things Sinar P or F or whatever, are NOT compatible with the Norma? I'm most interested in outfitting the thing with a 5x7 back.

Cheers

PS: Can't be more heavy than my clunker of a combat graphic...

I have a Norma 5x7 rear standard on my Sinar F1. I'm not sure if the 4x5 to 5x7 bellows is Norma vintage or newer, but in any case it fits on both standards.

You could have a Norma or P as your 5x7 standard.