PDA

View Full Version : anyone using the Toyo VX125b?

BigSteveG
19-Apr-2008, 15:58
The specs look pretty nice. And it seems quite packable. I guess the price has come down as well. Apparently, a 5x7 enlarging back is available as well. I know it's been out for a while, and as such no longer the flavor of the month. I've decided to keep using my Cambo for the time being. I actually like using it, it's just too cumbersome to take anywhere.

Hany Aziz
20-Apr-2008, 05:34
The specs look pretty nice. And it seems quite packable. I guess the price has come down as well. Apparently, a 5x7 enlarging back is available as well. I know it's been out for a while, and as such no longer the flavor of the month. I've decided to keep using my Cambo for the time being. I actually like using it, it's just too cumbersome to take anywhere.

I have the VX125 (the one with the full geared movements). I like it and often (but not always) use it instead of a field camera in the field. I often try to anticipate how much movements (particularly rise) I will be using and if I think it will be a lot would tend to favour taking it rather than my field camera. It does pack quit small for a monorail, though realize that it ends up being a rectangle due to the "stem" (not the monorail) holding up the camera, rather than the more traditional square of most field cameras. You also carry 2 screw on extensions (small) to allow you to use a 300 mm lens. I do have to admit though that it is overpriced particularly in the US where the US dealer (MAC) charges a premium, this is to some extent reflected also in it's price used. Nevertheless it is one of few monorails that people will happily take into the field as a field camera. On the strong plus side, I have a preference for the smoothness of metal cameras and of this particular monorail.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Ralph Barker
20-Apr-2008, 08:40
The VX125 is very sexy looking in my view. I couldn't afford the premium, though, and purchased a 45C instead, back in the '90s. It doesn't have all of the VX's gearing, but also disassembles to a reasonably convenient size - especially with a short rail.

BigSteveG
20-Apr-2008, 09:59
Thanks guys. Has anyone ever tried the enalrging 4x5-5x7 back? I'm thinking it's something I would keep at home for portraits and wondering what the price might be on that.

Ralph Barker
20-Apr-2008, 10:25
The current listings on the Toyo site appear to refer to larger rear standards from the G models (5x7 and 8x10), along with the corresponding bellows to fit. I seem to recall an earlier "enlarging" back, but that appears to have been discontinued. For portraiture, I don't see a big advantage in going to 5x7 over 4x5, unless one is doing very large prints. But, that's a matter of personal taste.

BigSteveG
21-Apr-2008, 11:59
I want to use the 5x7 negs for contact printing perhaps w/ some alternative processes.

Don Hutton
21-Apr-2008, 12:16
The VX125 is a very nice compact camera. Two drawbacks - IMO - base tilts only (a design issue I suppose - like an Arca without Orbix) and pretty brutal zero detents on tilt - can make it difficult to apply a tiny amount of tilt. You can obviously learn to get around the former and the latter can be improved dramatically with a bit of handiwork (google with reveal a DIY operation which helps a lot). Having the foot remachined to fit an A/S style QR is also handy.

If you can live with the limited bellows draw, it is a very intuitive camera to use. The B version should be just the same without the convenience of the geared rise/fall and shift - which I have to say, are very cool in use. Excellent tool for architectural shooting.

Gary J. McCutcheon
21-Apr-2008, 21:15
The VX125b has the geared rise and fall, it is the VX125R that does not have the geared rise. The VX125 is identical to the VX125b except for color and price. The VX125 is green and the b version is black. The green version is $1000 more new, go figure!

Don Hutton
21-Apr-2008, 21:33
Sorry - my mistake - I was referring to the the VX125R, not the "B" in terms of lack of geared movements... I had the "green version" and would probably have paid more for the "B" - black version. I can't imagine why anyone ever thought that light jade metallic green was an attractive or desirable color for a view camera.