PDA

View Full Version : Riding the Zion Shuttle

Ben Hopson
18-Apr-2008, 23:15
I have been to Zion several times, but always after the Shuttle stopped running in the fall. A friend is going to Zion next week and asked me if he could get his large format gear and a three wheeled baby jogger on the bus. Does anyone have an answer for him?

Thanks,
Ben

Brian Vuillemenot
18-Apr-2008, 23:32
I'm not sure about the Zion shuttle, but I bring my big F64 pack and bulky tripod with me all the time on the Yosemite shuttle (even when it's standing room only). Since the shuttle in Zion is probably identical, I don't think your friend will have a problem.

vinny
19-Apr-2008, 09:10
They are full-sized buses but i don't know how many times i'd want to struggle loading and unloading a stroller full of gack. The park isn't that big so you could walk much of it with the stroller though.

Eric Woodbury
19-Apr-2008, 11:11
I was there 2 weeks ago. Any arrangement of large format gear would not be a problem. A baby stroller w/o a baby might be odd, but I don't think they'd stop you. The busses are large and easy on/off. Call them and ask. You can hang your bike on the front of the bus, but you can't take your dog.

I had never been there with the shuttle running either. It is very odd. All the parking lots are empty except up by the tunnel and out the east exit which is the same.

Ben Hopson
19-Apr-2008, 11:19
They are full-sized buses but i don't know how many times i'd want to struggle loading and unloading a stroller full of gack. The park isn't that big so you could walk much of it with the stroller though.

As National Parks go Zion is not huge, but it would be quite a walk from the Springdale entrance to the Temple of Senawava especially with LF gear in tow. The person I am asking about the shuttle for also has some back trouble that prevents much walking of any distance which is the reason for the stroller. It will be his and his new brides first visit to Zion so the shuttle would allow them to see several of the many attractions there without a long walk.

Thanks,

Ben

Peter Mounier
19-Apr-2008, 13:14
It looks like a stroller is ok.
I got this info from the following website...
http://www.scenicsouthernutah.com/national_parks/zion.shtml
...3. Board one of the free shuttles. These buses are fully accessible to wheelchairs, walkers and strollers. They run from 5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. and run as often as every six minutes. Pets are not allowed on the shuttle.

Peter

Ben Hopson
19-Apr-2008, 16:19
It looks like a stroller is ok.
I got this info from the following website...
http://www.scenicsouthernutah.com/national_parks/zion.shtml
...3. Board one of the free shuttles. These buses are fully accessible to wheelchairs, walkers and strollers. They run from 5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. and run as often as every six minutes. Pets are not allowed on the shuttle.

Thanks for the link Peter. After reading that and the other helpful responses I think he will be able to take the Baby Jogger on the shuttle without a problem.

Ben

Peter

mrladewig
19-Apr-2008, 21:14
I'd say its OK. I took my Calumet C-402 in its big case, plus a backpack on the buses last fall. Also, the buses ran plenty early for sunrise and plenty late to catch sunset.

eddie
20-Apr-2008, 06:30
you can take what ever you can carry. you should see how much stuff the rock climbers bring with them.....makes LF gear look small and light!

Darren H
21-Apr-2008, 03:04
The Zion shuttle is a great set up. The trade off of riding it is well worth the peace and quiet it brings to the canyon. The busses run from very early in the morning to well after dark so you will have no problem making first light or getting back after dark.

On the early busses it is just a few park employees and photographers and you will have no problem with your stuff. I had a Super Trekker, tripod and shoulder bag. Lots of folks bring strollers too (granted most have kids in them) but why not LF gear.

During the middle of the day should work too, you just may have to wait for a second bus on occasion as some of the middle stops no one gets off and the bus is already full.

Anyway, it is a great park-enjoy!

eric black
21-Apr-2008, 06:21
The times of day when your fiiend should be using the shuttle (early and late) there will hardly be many people on it so he/she should be fine.

Dave Jeffery
27-Apr-2008, 05:54
The shuttles had to be used in the park as the Winnebagos would get jammed up on the narrow road when the park was busy.

The shuttles run about every seven minutes during the busiest times of day and although I enjoy driving anywhere in the park during the off season the shuttles are fine when it's busy.

The shuttles are a two part bus and usually the trailer, or rear section, is usually not as full as the front. The driver needs to make sure the rear doors and steps are clear and it's hard for them to see that area with the video camera. I usually let the ladies use the seats and once in a while the driver will see my gear on the floor and tell me the door area needs to be clear. There is a two way intercom so I just tell them that it is clear, so if anyone has any problems in the trailer the driver can hear you.

It's easy, have fun!