PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Korona

ron3865
18-Apr-2008, 22:32
I'm in the process of restoring a 5"x&" Korona and maybe someone here can help.
I plan on getting all the metal replated and instead of trying to replate the small (#2 or smaller) screws I wanted to replace them. Problem is I can't find a wood screw that small. I've tried several hardware stores that "sell everything" but no luck. Even the hobby shops I called didn't have what I needed. The closest I got was a #2 capscrew.
Anybody know a source? I guess I could have mine replated but I really don't want to take a chance on the guy losing one of them if there are no more around.

jmcd
18-Apr-2008, 22:45
If you know the size you can get them ordered at a handy Ace Hardware store. If you're lucky they will have a nice old style drawers of just the screws you need, somewhere at the back of the store, back in time. If ordering from their catalog, you might have to pick up boxes of 100, but that won't cost but a few dollars per box.

Jorge Gasteazoro
19-Apr-2008, 02:37
I'm in the process of restoring a 5"x&" Korona and maybe someone here can help.
I plan on getting all the metal replated and instead of trying to replate the small (#2 or smaller) screws I wanted to replace them. Problem is I can't find a wood screw that small. I've tried several hardware stores that "sell everything" but no luck. Even the hobby shops I called didn't have what I needed. The closest I got was a #2 capscrew.
Anybody know a source? I guess I could have mine replated but I really don't want to take a chance on the guy losing one of them if there are no more around.

Sometimes you have to go to the hobby shop as the guys on the phone don't want to hassle with looking for them. I found mine in a hobby shop, they are out there.

eddie
19-Apr-2008, 02:51
check here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

they will have them.

Jim Fitzgerald
19-Apr-2008, 06:22
The smallest I could find was a #2 at OSH Hardware. They are about the only one in my area that carries a good selection in brass. The other sources are good ones also.

Jim

Dave Parker
19-Apr-2008, 07:03
I buy all of my tiny screws at the local hobby shop that specializes in radio controlled airplanes, they have a wide selection of various types, and I have been able to find ones that match the same style as many of the older camera manufactures used, including the proper shoulder styles for brackets and such.

Dave

Jim Noel
19-Apr-2008, 08:26
www.microfasteners.com has all kinds of tiny screws, bolts, nuts etc and sells them in small quantities.
Jim

matthew blais
19-Apr-2008, 08:48
I used most of what came with mine, as the problem is finding replacements.
However, I polished off the old nickel plating on all metal parts to the shiny brass. (didn't want to spend money on plating) though it took a lot of time to do the polishing. I also polished the head of each screw. I did replace a few from small hinge packages from Home depot, which was the only way I could find some screws.

ron3865
19-Apr-2008, 11:57
check here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

they will have them.

------------------------------------
I remeasured mine and found them to be #1, but I think I'll go with the #2 as they are only a couple of thou. bigger.

Thanks for the web site info!

Glenn Thoreson
19-Apr-2008, 12:08
Try www.rockler.com They have some tiny brass screws in packs of small quantity. That's where I get mine. I use a lot of #1 and #2 screws. The biggest problem is, no one makes long ones like some of these old beasties used. Nickel plating isn't worth it. If you want nickel color, you're probably going to be better off polishing and laquering the steel kind. You could nickel plate your own, if you're that ambitious. It really isn't hard to do.

Frank Bagbey
19-Apr-2008, 16:01
Try a train hobby shop. The complete ones have all you need in metal pieces.

Doug Howk
19-Apr-2008, 17:57
Whether you can bump up the screw size depends on the wood. I've partially restored (functionally works) a couple of Koronas. The older is made with walnut stained cherry wood, and I used slightly larger screws with no problem. However, the newer Korona (probably from around 1930) is of rosewood, which seems to be a very brittle wood - easy to crack. For it I used glue with the same screw size as original.

Randy H
20-Apr-2008, 03:10
Problem I had on restoring some of the old cameras, is the screw sizes may have been the same on the screw part, but the heads tend to be just slightly larger on the new screws. It was indeed a pain in the ass to polish the originals, chasing them across the floor and all, but it turns out worth it in the end. Other option is to countersink the holes to get a good flush fit again.