PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use graflocks?

Songyun
17-Apr-2008, 08:58
I just realized that I haven't use it for a long time. What is the benefit of having a graflock back besides the use of roll film back?

David A. Goldfarb
17-Apr-2008, 09:05
I use them for rollfilm backs and Grafmatics. When I'm shooting press-style with the rangefinder, I leave the groundglass at home and it takes a little weight off the camera, which I usually carry on a strap around my neck when I'm shooting that way.

I've also used the Graflarger back on my Tech V, before I found a 4x5" enlarger that fit in my space.

BradS
17-Apr-2008, 09:10
Three of my four LF cameras have Graflok backs. In the past three years, I think I have shot one roll of roll film using the Graflex 22 roll film holder. Other than that, I've never used the graflok backs. I honestly don't know why people think it's so important to have one.

Dave Moeller
17-Apr-2008, 09:28
Different strokes... I probably use a roll film holder half of the times that I go out. Not exclusively, but my roll film holder does get a lot of use.

Nick_3536
17-Apr-2008, 09:51
How do those 6x17 backs fit the 4x5 cameras?

I use it for roll film holders. Both on 4x5 and 5x7

Songyun
17-Apr-2008, 10:29
The prototype of Chamonix 045 N1 comes with a non graflock back. It changed to a graflock back because so many ppls want a graflock back. In my mind a non graflock back is a better choice, simply and mistake free.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Apr-2008, 10:44
The 6x17 backs for 4x5" cameras are expansion backs that use the Graflok attachment. They come with a groundglass viewer, since the film plane of the back is set back from the normal film plane. You focus and frame with the groundglass viewer, remove it, and put on the back to make the exposure.

It is also possible to use rangefinder focusing with the 6x17 backs, if the camera allows that, and you can use a 6x17 shoe-mount finder to frame. I can do this with my 150mm lens, DaYi 6x17 back, Tech V 4x5", and a Gaoersi adjustable finder.

Since Graflok backs offer more flexibility, they also can potentially increase the resale value of the camera.

Gordon Moat
17-Apr-2008, 12:46
Use mine often, mostly for a Linhof Super Rollex. This is an instant crop, and in a way easier than carrying yet another lens. The other benefit to me is using films like Kodak E200 or Fuji Provia 400X, which are not available in 4x5. I also have two different Instant film backs.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Songyun
17-Apr-2008, 13:14
Also there is another adapter that connects digital camera via graflock backs. But that probably is more useful on monorails shooting macros.

Alan Davenport
17-Apr-2008, 17:16
I have two 4x5 cameras; one with a Graflock back and one with a spring back. Since I got a Calumet roll holder, I haven't ever felt the need to use the Graflock.

However, I refuse to use Grafmatic holders in my field camera because they are much thicker than the Calumet roll holder, and I think the Grafmatic might be too much for the spring back of the field camera.

Glenn Thoreson
17-Apr-2008, 18:45
I use it for roll holders on my 2X3 Speed Graphics. Some of my 4X5 Speeds have Grafloks, and one of my 3X4 Speeds has it. I don't use those for roll film. To me, the ones on my larger cameras are just unnecessary. I also don't understand what the hoopla is about with Grafloks. I have small cameras for small film and big cameras for big film. Ne'er the twain shall meet. :D

Songyun
17-Apr-2008, 21:07
I use them for rollfilm backs and Grafmatics. When I'm shooting press-style with the rangefinder, I leave the groundglass at home and it takes a little weight off the camera, which I usually carry on a strap around my neck when I'm shooting that way.

I've also used the Graflarger back on my Tech V, before I found a 4x5" enlarger that fit in my space.

David, I did that once, just for fun, not on a press camera, but with my Chamonix. I put a 75mm lens on it, with a 612 back. (coz no tripods or even professional cameras are allowed in the stadium) I sat under the press box and shoot at the field of Ohio Stadium in one of the regular season games last year.

Turner Reich
17-Apr-2008, 23:35
They work great when using a roll holder and Pan F Ilford which is not available in sheets. You can use it and get view camera adjustments. Some times roll film is just a better choice. Graphmatics are nice too, a few of them compared to sheet film holders.

Ben R
18-Apr-2008, 01:34
Better to have the choice even if you don't use that not have the choice at all?

I swapped my Tachi for a Gandolfi with a Graflok specifically to use two backs that I hadn't even conceived of thinking about when I bought the Tachi.

KenM
18-Apr-2008, 05:34
I have two 4x5 cameras; one with a Graflock back and one with a spring back. Since I got a Calumet roll holder, I haven't ever felt the need to use the Graflock.

However, I refuse to use Grafmatic holders in my field camera because they are much thicker than the Calumet roll holder, and I think the Grafmatic might be too much for the spring back of the field camera.

What type of field camera do you have Alan? I'm the opposite of you - I use nothing but grafmatics in my Technika, and have never experienced a problem with trying to insert the holder.

Granted, I used to have a 45N, and I seem to remember that the spring back on that camera was pretty tight.

Kuzano
18-Apr-2008, 11:52
The newer Readyload backs have slots for Graflok backs. I don't know about Quickloads, but wouldn't be surprised.

I think some of the 6X12 and 5X7 backs also may mount with Graflok mechanics.

Eduardo Aigner
18-Apr-2008, 12:49
What's wrong with Graflocks ? I use it all the time: Wista 67 back and Calumet 612 back.

Alan Davenport
23-Apr-2008, 17:13
What type of field camera do you have Alan? I'm the opposite of you - I use nothing but grafmatics in my Technika, and have never experienced a problem with trying to insert the holder.

Granted, I used to have a 45N, and I seem to remember that the spring back on that camera was pretty tight.

It's a Tachihara (well the label says Calumet Wood Field XM.) The springs just feel a little soft for the size of the Grafmatic. I have no problems using Grafmatics in my monorail, under the glass or using the Graflocks.

Waldo
26-Apr-2008, 17:02
The only time that I have ever used mine is to mess with the film backs and see what they look like on the camera. Ive never actually used the back so technically Ive never used the locks.

darr
27-Apr-2008, 12:10
They work great when using a roll holder and Pan F Ilford which is not available in sheets.

I use this film with a Horseman 6x12 back a lot.

Darr

tim o'brien
2-May-2008, 23:11
It's funny... in 4x5, never. I have a Graphics 22 and a Graphics 23 for my 4x5 but since I have never calibrated the Kalart to my 150 Fuji lens, I never use them. I occasionally use a Graphics23 (or my rb67 backs) on my 2x3 Speed, occasionally use a 2x3 graphmatic on the same camera. I prefer to use the graphmatics on my rb67 though. Better quality lens IMHO. My favorite combination though is a 3x4 series b graflex with a graphics23 on it. Now that is useful after you have used up all 12 of the shots I have available with the graplex type 5 holders I have.

So no, a graflock isn't that important to me.

tim in san jose