PDA

View Full Version : Brand 17 4x5 view camera

Daqlon
15-Apr-2008, 22:28
I just bought a my first 4x5 camera, but actually it is really old camera and I didn't find too much info about, some people write little bit but not much. Do you guys used this camera and lens before or do you know where can I get more info about. Please let me know. This camera older than my grandpa, hopefully it will work.

Thanks

Gene McCluney
16-Apr-2008, 07:37
That looks like a Baco View to me, with a non-factory handle.

Merg Ross
16-Apr-2008, 07:56
Made by the Brand Camera Company in Los Angeles, this is a very solid view camera. I believe the "17" refers to bellows length. The camera was designed to be used hand held as well as tripod mounted. The front standard can be moved back to the tripod mount for short lenses, although not a good camera for shorter than around a 127mm lens in my opinion. The revolving back featutre is something found on more expensive cameras. I bought mine used in 1953, so it may be older than you think!

Daqlon
16-Apr-2008, 10:03
Made by the Brand Camera Company in Los Angeles, this is a very solid view camera. I believe the "17" refers to bellows length. The camera was designed to be used hand held as well as tripod mounted. The front standard can be moved back to the tripod mount for short lenses, although not a good camera for shorter than around a 127mm lens in my opinion. The revolving back featutre is something found on more expensive cameras. I bought mine used in 1953, so it may be older than you think!

Thanks a lot
Do you know which holders fit to this camera. I heard ground glass and back part is kind of small.

Glenn Thoreson
16-Apr-2008, 11:20
Any modern 4X5 holder will fit your 4X5 camera.
Enjoy!

Daqlon
16-Apr-2008, 11:28
Any modern 4X5 holder will fit your 4X5 camera.
Enjoy!

Thanks a lot

Froeschli
29-Dec-2020, 18:28
I was just looking at one of these, thinking of might be more "portable" than my calumet cc400. But at 17" bellows length (when extended) it is actually longer - and likely quite heavy?

I know this is an old post, but searching for "brand" and "camera" gives me more of the predictable and few helpful results...

Just debating how suitable this would be for cityscapes...

Dugan
29-Dec-2020, 19:59
It looked good to me in theory...quite heavy for hand-held...it's made of cast aluminum or "pot-metal". Don't let that handle seduce you. :)
I got one to replace my Calumet CC-400. I ended up hating it and got a Speed Graphic and never looked back.
I recommend that you try before you buy, YMMV.

Froeschli
29-Dec-2020, 20:33
It looked good to me in theory...quite heavy for hand-held...it's made of cast aluminum or "pot-metal". Don't let that handle seduce you. :)
I got one to replace my Calumet CC-400. I ended up hating it and got a Speed Graphic and never looked back.
I recommend that you try before you buy, YMMV.

Dang, I wanted to hear something else :-p whilst not looking for hand held precisely, I'd rather not be breaking my back lugging it around either. I'll just have to keep watching for a cheap-ish press or field camera...

Kinografx
29-Dec-2020, 20:45
Hi!
As a happy Brand-17 owner I can tell you that it’s unfairly maligned, and it’s a great, useable camera. It’s very compact for a double rail, not heavy at all, and it’s just fun and easy to use. The other 4x5 that is one of my favorites (and one that everyone else rags on,) is the burke and james press or”watson” - way more movements than a pressman or graphic, cheap, and easy to use.

Merg Ross
29-Dec-2020, 22:20
Hi!
As a happy Brand-17 owner I can tell you that it’s unfairly maligned, and it’s a great, useable camera. It’s very compact for a double rail, not heavy at all, and it’s just fun and easy to use. The other 4x5 that is one of my favorites (and one that everyone else rags on,) is the burke and james press or”watson” - way more movements than a pressman or graphic, cheap, and easy to use.

Noted earlier, my first 4x5 camera was a Brand 17, purchased in 1953. It served me well for ten years as my only 4x5 camera. With a 10" Tessar lens, and sometimes a 7" B&L, it did all that I asked of it, in a simple and reliable manner. When I started my commercial venture, I needed a more friendly camera for short lenses, so purchased a couple of Calumet 400 Series cameras. You are quite right, the Brand 17 has been unfairly maligned. The cameras I have owned over the years, more expensive and with more bells and whistles, have not made me a better photographer.

Merg Ross, Berkeley, CA 1954
(photo: Donald Ross)