PDA

View Full Version : You know your equipment is telling you something when...

Diane Maher
15-Apr-2008, 18:32
...you have found the missing tape for repairing holders and you find three holders in one night whose tape seems to need replacing. :eek:

At least I found the tape so I can fix them prior to reloading them. :D

Only one holder had thus far shown any light leaks, but if I don't fix them all I'm asking for trouble.

EuGene Smith
15-Apr-2008, 19:05
Diane:

Where do you get that tape? It looks like that black fabric tape that librarians use to repair worn out spines on books - - is it the same stuff?

EuGene

Dave Parker
15-Apr-2008, 19:13
I use heavy duty gaffers tape, that used to be made by bogen.

Dave

Diane Maher
15-Apr-2008, 19:27
Eugene,
I have some of the Bogen tape. I don't recall where I got it, I've had it for quite a long time and don't recall where I got it.

Diane

Ralph Barker
15-Apr-2008, 19:31
Diane, finding both the tape and the bad holders on the same day suggests that the photo gods are on your side. Good going.

Mark Woods
15-Apr-2008, 19:47
Moletown has fabric tape. Google Mole-Richardson. The Studio Depot has 1" & 2" tape. I've used the tape to repair my 8x10 film holders. Electricians use the same tape and paint on shellac to make it more impermeable. I haven't done that on my holders, although I have on electrical connections. That combination lasts forever, in a metaphorical sense.

Diane Maher
15-Apr-2008, 19:47
I hope so. The holders affected are bookform holders for my Japanese whole plate camera. The tape is just starting to wear away on several of the holders, but the tape I removed from the one holder came off really easily. Hope the other two will go as well. I will work on those tomorrow.

Scott Davis
16-Apr-2008, 06:33
I have book repair tape from Utrecht art supply :

http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_product.cfm?classId=1712&subclassID=171213&brandname=&item=54060

I wouldn't recommend gaffers tape, because it is designed to be removable.

Richard Wasserman
16-Apr-2008, 07:24
If you want the real thing Calumet has (or at least fairly recently had), THE OFFICIAL FILMHOLDER TAPE. It's expensive though, and I think some of the other options work just as well.

Dave Parker
16-Apr-2008, 07:40
I have used Gaffers tape when needed for close to 20 years now, with no mishaps, I normally inspect my holders every time I use them and replace tape as needed when it wears and the fold point, but again, I have never had any come off, without me taking it off, I am sure others have different experiences, but for me, gaffers has always been a good way to go. I have tried a couple of different types of tape, and found that the permanent tapes are difficult to deal with, because they wear as well, but are a real pain to get off when it needs to be replaced.

Dave

vonstauren
16-Apr-2008, 08:07
Eugene,
I have some of the Bogen tape. I don't recall where I got it, I've had it for quite a long time and don't recall where I got it.

Diane

Let's make it clear - you really don't recall where you got it?:)

Brian Ellis
16-Apr-2008, 09:08
The tape on a holder doesn't keep light out. The tape only serves as a hinge.

Diane Maher
16-Apr-2008, 10:01
Let's make it clear - you really don't recall where you got it?:)

I've had it for a few years. It might have been B&H.

vonstauren
16-Apr-2008, 10:03
It might, indeed, thank you.