PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a Kodak Readyload Film Holder

Garry Madlung
15-Apr-2008, 17:45
I like this holder because of the flat plate that presses the film. It's also a lot lighter than a Polaroid back.

I wish the aperture or image area were larger. I'm thinking of cutting away a bit around the edges. Am I asking for trouble?

Ron Marshall
15-Apr-2008, 18:01
I like this holder because of the flat plate that presses the film. It's also a lot lighter than a Polaroid back.

I wish the aperture or image area were larger. I'm thinking of cutting away a bit around the edges. Am I asking for trouble?

Without looking at the negs, I don't remember those shot with Readyloads having any less area exposed than those shot with filmholders.

Too little on the sides might cause flatness problems!

Gordon Moat
16-Apr-2008, 18:45
I think you would be lucky to gain 1mm all around and still keep the holder edges smooth. The older ones can be carefully pried apart by using leverage against the tabs on the sides. If you manage to crack one open, it would be easy to modify the film gate, but I don't see why to bother with that. You could always take a triangular file and cut little fake Hasselblad notches in the edges . . . now that would be fun.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Garry Madlung
16-Apr-2008, 20:43
Thanks for the input. To gain a millimeter on each side probably wouldn't be worth the trouble or risk, and I really don't want to compromise film flatness.