PDA

View Full Version : Do I need waterstops

redrockcoulee
14-Apr-2008, 19:14
My 5X8 camera came with a Dallymeyer lens. On the lens is the number 13671 although cannot be sure of the second digit. It takes waterstops but someone must have taken them as there are none. I was thinking of trying out this lens on my 5X7 or 4X5. Was curious as if I should get or make some stops and if so would I want them with large or small apertures considering the nature of this type of lens? Or just shoot wide open? I do not expect this lens to become my prime lens but should prove interesting none the less.

The barrel is quite pitted but not the glass so am lucky there. Thanks for any advise or suggestions.

Mark Sawyer
14-Apr-2008, 19:24
I'm guessing this will be a Petzval, not a Rapid Rectilinear...

Lately the trend has been to use these lenses on a larger format than the manufacturer recommended and use them wide open, as between the two, it brings out the most "personality" in the lens, (soft edges and sometimes swirlies, if you're lucky...) With Waterhouse stops, it will become sharper and have a more conventional look. A lovely old lens either way...

Alan Davenport
14-Apr-2008, 20:05
If you're happy shooting wide open all the time, then you won't need stops.

Lenses that used Waterhouse stops seem to be pretty common on the used market, but it's pretty rare to find a lens with a set of stops. If you were to make a decent set of stops, it would probably add quite a lot of value to the lens should you decide to part with it.

goamules
14-Apr-2008, 20:16
I shoot a lot of old lenses that have a waterhouse slot for aperature. Like most lenses, you'll find the sharpness and depth of field increase if you use smaller aperatures. I've made mine out of cardboard or thin aluminum plate (that I coincedentially have for making the tintypes themselves). Search on this board, there is a good method or two for determining the diameters needed. You can try making one, at say f11 and see what you think the lens does there....

David A. Goldfarb
14-Apr-2008, 20:24
I have a Voigtlander Petzval with waterhouse stops made by SK Grimes, and I find I usually use them. The lens is f:4, and I tend to like it around f:5.6 or f:8, and then I use ND filters to adjust the exposure as necessary.

Jim Fitzgerald
14-Apr-2008, 20:26
I have several old brass waterhouse stop lenses. When I need to make a stop I cut up one of my old 4x5 empty film boxes. They seem to be the right thickness. I have had some luck in that I have at least one stop that came with the lens so I can copy it.

Jim