PDA

View Full Version : Ziatype/Enlarger?

Darryl Roberts
13-Apr-2008, 19:51
Hi,

If one prints with ziatype is an enlarger needed?

Thank you.

D. Bryant
13-Apr-2008, 21:48
Hi,

If one prints with ziatype is an enlarger needed?

Thank you.
Ziatype printing is a contact print process requiring an intense UV light source. You don't project the image on to the sensitized paper unless you have an enlarger that uses a high intensity UV lamp. There maybe some of those around which were specially made for projection printing onto AZO gelatin silver paper but I don't know if they would work for alt. processes.

Don Bryant

Eric Biggerstaff
14-Apr-2008, 06:50
You can use the sun as the light source, it is easy and a fun way to learn the Ziatype process. Not as consistent as an artifical light source, but nice prints can be made this way. As Don points out, it is a contact printing method so no enlarger is needed.

steve simmons
14-Apr-2008, 08:23
Eric has written a nice step by step how-to on ziatype printing that will be in the May/June issue of View Camera.

steve simmons

Darryl Roberts
14-Apr-2008, 19:10
Thank you very much. I'm gonna try it.

rpdelhorbe
15-Apr-2008, 19:09
I have printed lots of Ziatype's using the sun as a light source, and I find it quite fun .. as an engineer, it is quite interesting to observe the different printing times between clear sky and slight cloud cover and also with the time of day and time of year .... since it is a printing out process by inspection, one can still get consistent prints, but that was all in Toronto Ontario where the sun did come out regularly. Now that I have moved to Vancouver BC, I really need to build my own light source .... :-)

Bostick & Sullivan used to have links to somewhere that had plans on how to build your own, but they no longer seem to offer this. I could probably do it from scratch but would like to review what others have found successful. Does anyone know where one can access these plans or does anyone have them already downloaded that they could forward to me ?

Thanks, Richard

Caroline Matthews
15-Apr-2008, 19:55
With all due respect, if you are asking this type of question, you have a lot of research to do!

rpdelhorbe
15-Apr-2008, 21:58
Actually, I researched this in some detail a few years ago, but lost or misplaced the downloaded plans during my move. I could probably try to recreate them from memory, but it's just easier to refer to drawings already done to zero in on the dimensions and number and spacing of tubes for specific printing frame sizes etc. before buying all the bits.

Richard

CG
16-Apr-2008, 22:03
With all due respect, if you are asking this type of question, you have a lot of research to do!

And this is a good place to do such research.

C

Greg Lockrey
16-Apr-2008, 22:48
Boy... just be glad that she ain't your boss.:eek: