PDA

View Full Version : Geezer Photo Stroller Secrets Revealed...

Richard K.
13-Apr-2008, 14:30
OK since I recently passed the __ decade mark, I've been trying to find a way of carrying my photo stuff (10x12, 14x17) for taking on some trails, city streets, etc. I originally thought of a baby carriage but that seemed a bit, er, precious and not particularly roomy or navigable. The idea of a jogging stroller was presented to me (in this forum, thank you!) and started me on this whole enterprise. I investigated dozens of models and all but 2 or 3 were deficient in some way. By a stroke of sheer serendipity, the best model is also the cheapest ($179 - $225 range) and not only that, but there are half a dozen or so (Schwinn Mark 3) currently on BIN on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&satitle=schwinn+mark+3&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=M8Z+3R8&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1

BUT, now the stroller has to be modified for photo useage. Remove the toddler seats (this is a stroller for two). They untie easily and they are completely removed from the top bar by 2 Phillips screws. You will then have something that looks like this:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/Stroller1.jpg

Unlike many double joggers the floor (approximately 22"x28") of this jogger is flat (some just come up behind the seat) and of good area. You will notice though that the floor (back 19") is just a thin sheet of material and would not support your camera cases (they would bump into rocks, tear a hole in the floor, etc.). This is where that piece of 3/4" thick 16" x 19" plywood comes in (shown leaning against the stroller in above photo). It will straddle the gap between frame rods in the stroller giving you a secure floor. Simply screw in flat metal extension coupler pieces into the plywood to overlap out by an inch or so. The overlaps rest on the frame rods. I also stuck on little rubber bumpy things under the ends of the metal extensions to provide a smoother. less abrasive contact. Now, you may ask, why not make the plywood wider, say 18 or 20"? The problem is the material of the floor would go taught before the metal strips could engage the stroller rods. 16" is perfect (see all the research I've done for you :) ?). The next photo shows the pywood installed:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/Stroller2.jpg

The last photo shows the stroller ready to roll with several bags of equipment stowed (and my equipment tends to be large!). Use a metal cup to catch the tripod feet!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/Stroller3.jpg

Anyway, this set-up is relatively cheap and works great on many surfaces. You do have to start with the right (and did I mention cheapest?) jogging stroller and you do have to add the plywood floor, but even a clutz like I managed to do so. The wheels are quick release and the stroller collapses down in 2 min. You can also get a transparent (or opaque I guess) rain cover if you might get caught out. The supplied cover (with window for kids to look out through) might be too small if you have big equipment.
Hope this helps some of you who have been looking for back relief! PS this is easier to put together than to explain! PM me if you'd like more explanation.

-Richard K. we're down to the last unmelted patch of snow in Toronto...

Mark Woods
13-Apr-2008, 14:42
Looks like you're ready to roll!

Walter Calahan
13-Apr-2008, 15:15
That's my idea of 'stylin.'

Good for you. I use a single, not a double for my gear.

Ralph Barker
13-Apr-2008, 19:44
That's pretty slick, Richard, even if a bit bulky.

In contrast to your "geezer" approach, the DOM (dirty old man) alternative is to simply hire a couple of members of the Swedish Bikini Team to carry the stuff. ;)

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Apr-2008, 20:38
That's pretty slick, Richard, even if a bit bulky.

In contrast to your "geezer" approach, the DOM (dirty old man) alternative is to simply hire a couple of members of the Swedish Bikini Team to carry the stuff. ;)

I think I like Ralph's idea the best! You want to send a couple over to Ventura for me. Sun and surf just minutes away!

Richard I think it looks like this would work for my 11x14 and 8x20's. It would be nice to take them both out for a stroll.

Jim

Tom Schaefer
14-Apr-2008, 14:24
Thanks for the tip
I just ordered mine
on ebay buy it now
179.00 plus 25.00 for shipping

Thanks
Tom S

Clueless Winddancing
14-Apr-2008, 18:32
Well done...and...I wonder if a riding a Seqway and pulling the gear would make it a trvois?

Geary Lyons
14-Apr-2008, 18:39
Well done...and...I wonder if a riding a Seqway and pulling the gear would make it a trvois?

Travois? Only if you removed the rear wheels.

Cheers,
Geary

R Mann
15-Apr-2008, 17:28
Neat idea - Looks like something I would like to try - but I have a couple of questions -

What were the other 2 or 3 models that you considered?

Is the handle attachment strong enough to tip it back on just two wheels to get over rough ground?

Is the tripod secure just leaning and does it get in the way of your hands on the grip?

Also, how small does this become when folded?

Richard K.
16-Apr-2008, 07:48
I looked at a similar INstep model and a Chariot Cougar. The Instep was more expensive and the Chariot way more expensive (~$600). Also, the floor is not flat in the Chariot but comes up behind the seat. The only real drawback (but maybe not for our purposes) is that there are no brakes. Yes the handle is strong enough for tipping. The tripod actually leans against the cross piece of the stroller, not the handle bar, so no problem. I just wedge it in and it's fine. When the stroller is folded (cross bar pops out, handle bar must be removed - 2 min work, and the 3 wheels are quick release) it measures around 35x30x6 inches. You do need to put a piece of plywood between cross bars on the floor and I would also suggest removing the bike attachment rod assembly. For $179, this is a real back saver over a lot of terrains. Let me know if you have more questions! :)

j.e.simmons
16-Apr-2008, 10:35
You can find these things at baby-stuff consignment shops for about 1/3 the price. I got mine a couple of years ago for $35 - it's a single. A couple of weekends ago, I drove past a Sertoma club yard sale just as it was closing down. They had a double stroller and to keep from having to load it back in their truck, they sold it to me for $10. Yesterday morning I walked out to may car, and there by the side of the street was one being thrown out with the trash. Look around and you can find these things much cheaper. I highly endorse them.
juan

Terence Patrick
16-Apr-2008, 13:54
It says that the weight limit is 100lbs. Do you think the plywood floor you put in increased the amount of weight you could carry or is the frame itself wimpy?

Richard K.
16-Apr-2008, 14:27
I think it refers to the frame. 100lbs should be adequate for most people...what's shown in my 3rd photo is about 50 lbs of stuff.

John Powers
17-Apr-2008, 16:14
Another nice one is the Performance single by BabyJogger
http://babyjogger.com/performancesingle.htm

It has 20 inch wheels and 100 pound shocks. The larger wheels help you over uneven terrain, offer less rolling resistance and the shocks make the ride smoother on your gear. I bought mine second hand on eBay three years ago. That vintage only had a front brake. There is not much weight on the front, so it doesn’t do much for you. The current model has a parking brake that locks the rear wheels. Lacking that I usually just wedge it up against a tree, rock, fence.

Today I carried seven 7x17 film holders in a bag on the bottom rails; a 12x12x 10” cooler bag full of lenses, meter, loupe in the seat, and a 7x17 RH Phillips mounted on a big Ries. The tripod spikes go through two holes cut in the foot rest. The tripod leans on the cooler bag and is buggied to the shocks and axle. When I stop, the camera, tripod and tripod head are all connected for instant set up.

I bought the baby jogger when I thought my 4x5 kit was heavy. I have also used it for an 8x10 RH Phillips mounted on the smaller Ries. The whole rig will not carry as much gear as the rig described earlier, but what I have may travel more gently and may be more quickly set up. The joy is we have choices. The only modification required was to drill two ¼” holes for the tripod spikes. Oh yeah, I added a bicycle handle bar compass. I use it to tell me when the sun will be where I want it for a shot so I will know when to come back.

The polite eBay seller said his son had out grown the jogger. He wanted to know if I had a boy or a girl and how old. He laughed when I said baby Linhof was adopted, of uncertain age and sex, but loved to take pictures.

68 year old member of the Geezer Constituency,

John

Drew Bedo
20-Apr-2008, 12:14
Hello Richard;

I have a single seater jogging stroller for my 8x10 gear, and it works well when I use it. A more compact though more limited set-up is built around a golf0bag cart. Small hose clamps mount a back-pack frame ridgedly and straps secure the tripod. It all folds upp for auto trunk stowage, and lastly,icompared to a baby buggy,t looks a little more, well... BUTCH! Just another approach to mobility and load carrying.

nathanm
27-Aug-2009, 15:06
Who's a big camera? Who's a biggy wiggy camera!? YOU are! That's right! You are! Sooo big!

Drew Bedo
27-Aug-2009, 18:05
Oops, dual post.

lambis
2-Nov-2009, 19:47
or use those DANISH bycykels. They are Great!
http://213.132.112.100/images/44/4407390007.jpg

Fast Frankie
2-Nov-2009, 23:22
Hi All.
I use a BOB Revolution stroller. It has a pivoting front wheel with off road tires. Works great on all terrain. I recently installed a cargo converstion offered by the same company. I can take both my 4x5 and 8x10 in their packs, with film for both, two tripods,(if needed) and a changing bag. An that is not including the lower compartment. Installed a GPS mount as well. Still folds to fit in my trunk

shadow images
3-Nov-2009, 08:55
Here is what I was looking at the other day. A little modification and should work great. These are available at harbor freight for $50 and support 200lbs.

Robert Hughes
3-Nov-2009, 09:07
Why go half-way? Get a Hummer golf cart, and a pair of those fat wrap-around sunglasses all the geezers wear...

http://eroundlake.com/blog/uploaded_images/hummer-764322.jpg

chase canadé
5-Nov-2009, 17:10
I've been using something similiar for about a year now with my electric mountian/street bike... Mine came with a plastic fiber spring board under the cloth swing seats so it was easy to convert. It also has the rain cover which you show removed.

but your Stroller version is really neat - i like the added front wheel.

Another version i'm looking into - has 22" rear wheels for pulling behind my bike

- the plus side of that is you can add NO-MOR-FLATS - which Bell Industries picked up - and they are great! Hold true to their name... they may make a 16" version if your wheels are that big - if so - definitly get them for it - they are that good. Great for this type thiing or for Kids bikes even your own everyday bike.

Beats pushing it back due to a flat - especially dragging a load of gear.

Nice work!

Edit - just saw your post Robert

lol - that's totally bad a$$ - and Obama is offering a $4,500 incentive if you go street legal with it - the guy across the street jsut picked up his electic 6 seater a couple weeks ago - and mentioned it to me. Not as fancy as your Hummer there but has the Lift kit and street kit and mag wheels... looks good. He loves it for local running around says the charge lasts a long time and saves him a bundle in gas every week.

bronicasq
9-Mar-2010, 04:33
well, aha,it's real a good idea!and i will get one too~~