PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma 8x10 in the field

orlandus
13-Apr-2008, 09:47
Hello.

I continue looking for a camera of great format. I have seen a Sinar Norma 8x10 and it wanted to know your general opinion about the camera and her portability out of the study.I know that this one is not a field camera.Might it fold up as a Linhof Technikardan, for example? Look second photo http://www.butzi.net/reviews/linhoftk45s.htm

Also it wanted to know if it is possible to find refills, specially the bellows, on the market with facility.

Is it similar to a Sinar P2 but ancient?

Some advice?

Thank you very much and regards.

Don Dudenbostel
13-Apr-2008, 17:30
I don't have the 8x10 Norma but do have the 5x7 and 4x5. I lugged both on location shoots for many years and finally said enough with the weight and bulk. I still have both for studio work but bought a 5x7 Canham with 4x5 and 5x7 backs for ease of carry in the field. My standard 8x10 for the past 36 years has been my Deardorff which is very easy to transport and use compared to the Norma 5x7. The Norma does not fold like the Linhoff and is a heavy machine. Unless you're a young guy and lift weights i would suggest another altrernative. The camera is plenty heavy and then add a dozen holders and 4 or 5 lenses plus a really sturdy tripod and you wind up with a major load. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't run around 75 pounds or more. I find with any 8x10 you need a very strong tripod and head and the heavier the camera the heavier the tripod. I use a double leg Majestic and geared head which weighs around 40 pounds. I would guess even my system would come in at 60 pounds or so.

As to bellows and components, the beauty of Sinar is everything interchanges with modern Sinar cameras. The rails, bellows and etc. are all the same. Plenty of Sinar stuff on the used market too.

Jim Noel
13-Apr-2008, 18:34
The Norma is definitely not a field camera. It is great in the studio, but not the field.

Bruce Barlow
14-Apr-2008, 05:47
I lug it around. It's a heavy beast. I have 5x7 and 4x5 reducing backs to consolidate stuff a bit.

It is lovely - silky smooth and easy to operate once you get tha hang of it.

Mine may be up for sale soon - I'm replacing it with Richard Ritter's 8x10, which weighs in at 6 pounds!

Michael Nagl
14-Apr-2008, 06:48
According to what Iīve learned in an older thread here, an 8x10" Norma weighs 5.2 kilograms (without rail holder and lensboard), 2 pounds more than - e.g. - a Canham of the same size. Of course it does not fold up, but you can easily mount it on a short piece of rail for transport. The camera is extremely well made.
Bellows: F2 and P2 bellows wonīt fit. Bag bellows show up every other month or so on *bay.

orlandus
14-Apr-2008, 07:56
Bellows: F2 and P2 bellows wonīt fit. Bag bellows show up every other month or so on *bay.

Does this want to say that refill does not exist for the bellows?

Michael Nagl
14-Apr-2008, 08:08
Only used bellows - always a gamble - or ordering a new one. I think "Camera Bellows", England, can make them. What that would cost, I donīt know.

orlandus
14-Apr-2008, 08:19
Thanks to all for the answers.

I know that it is a camera more heavy that the Deardorff, Camhan and similar. But I believe that, in counterpart, it has more movements.

It does not worry me that it weighs approximately 2 kilos any more than those of field. What more worries me is the way of folding it, to guard it in the rucksack and to mount it in the field. What I want to know is if these operations are not excessively complicated. If I can dismantle the rail, leave the mounted rest and guard it in the rucksack.

Also there worries the facility or difficulty to find refills.

Regards.

Ken Lee
14-Apr-2008, 09:44
You can find a Sinar Norma expert at Glennview (http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm) in Chicago. According to the site,

"The Norma, built between 1947 and 1970 is the best built view camera ever made and quite collectable....I service Sinar Norma cameras."

Daniel Unkefer
14-Apr-2008, 17:44
I've had all my Norma stuff for twenty-five years, now, I'm a spritely 49. I sling my 8x10 Norma, attached to a lightweight (folded-up) Zone VI lightweight tripod, over my left shoulder. It balances surprisingly well, and I've hiked with it in just this manner for literally -miles-. The rest of the stuff goes into a shoulder bag, on my right shoulder.

When I get to where I'm going, I'm damned glad I have it with me. What a delight to use in the field. I even hiked to the top of the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado with it. That was -sweet-.

orlandus
14-Apr-2008, 23:43
I've had all my Norma stuff for twenty-five years, now, I'm a spritely 49. I sling my 8x10 Norma, attached to a lightweight (folded-up) Zone VI lightweight tripod, over my left shoulder. It balances surprisingly well, and I've hiked with it in just this manner for literally -miles-. The rest of the stuff goes into a shoulder bag, on my right shoulder.

When I get to where I'm going, I'm damned glad I have it with me. What a delight to use in the field. I even hiked to the top of the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado with it. That was -sweet-.

:)
I am accustomed to long treks for the mountains taking a heavy rucksack. Because of it there does not worry the weight very much. But I do not want to take her to the shoulder, which I would like that you were saying to me is if it might guard inside the rucksack removing the rail and making everything else mounted.

Thank you very much.