PDA

View Full Version : Apricot Blossoms! 8 antique lenses and paper negatives.

Jim Galli
13-Apr-2008, 08:42
Another comparison (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Apricot_Blossums/Apricot_Blossums.html) up on my web site. Each lens has a different look, different personality. The set up is identical in all 8. I've included 600+ kb enlargements behind the web page pics so you can get in and analyze the differences.

All are 8X10 and done with a Century 10a Studio camera. Several of the lenses haven't been used in a comparison before.

Hope folks aren't getting tired of these little jaunts.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Apricot_Blossums/Apricot_Blossums.html

darr
13-Apr-2008, 08:57
Another
Hope folks aren't getting tired of these little jaunts.

Never tire of them Jim!
What a unique education you give me ... visually is always the easiest way for me to learn. I really like the looks of the Cooke 12 3/4" f4.5 Series IIA Portrait lens (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Apricot_Blossums/ApricotBlossums12_3-4CookeIIA_ss.jpg) and the Gundlach Hyperion 18" f4
(http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Apricot_Blossums/ApricotBlossums18Hyperion_ss.jpg).

Best,
Darr

jb7
13-Apr-2008, 08:58
Very nice Jim,
don't stop-

And you'll never be able to photograph your garage
if you clean it-

j

Stephanie Brim
13-Apr-2008, 09:00
I like the Cooke as well. It just has something.

Paul Fitzgerald
13-Apr-2008, 09:08
Nicely done again.

I do like the Puligny Anachromatique 15 3/4" f5 and Gundlach Hyperion 18" f4.

Of the Cookes I prefer the Aviar.

Thanks.

Geary Lyons
13-Apr-2008, 09:10
Yeah, yeah yeah! Very impressive, as usual, but when will that garage get cleaned? Now THAT will be uber impressive :p!!

Cheers,
Geary

Jim Galli
13-Apr-2008, 09:15
Yeah, yeah yeah! Very impressive, as usual, but when will that garage get cleaned? Now THAT will be uber impressive :p!!

Cheers,
Geary

The trash trailer is backed up to the door and it's about 75%. My bride is home all weekend. Is there a correlation here? I do have a little trouble staying "on task" with all the pretty brass lenses and ideas in my head. She helps.

Jon Wilson
13-Apr-2008, 10:38
Thanks for sharing Jim. I personally liked the Dallmeyer 4A the best! Jon

Brian Bullen
13-Apr-2008, 10:41
Jim, I love these comparisons and look forward to seeing them! So keep it coming and thank you for taking the time.

If you find yourself swamped with cleaning and can't find the time to test all those wonderful lenses, feel free to mail some my way. I'd be happy to help in any way possible.:D

Mark Sawyer
13-Apr-2008, 11:18
Beautiful work as usual, and fascinating for us lens geeks! I appreciate that you know how to put together an image that's both lovely and shows of the lenses so well with in- and out-of-focus highlights against a darker background. (My choices are the P&S and the Hyperion, btw.) Then again, in a portraiture series like you've done in the past, the look could be very different...

One could also do a wonderful series from just one lens, varying the aperture and (for those that have it) the diffusion setting.

Gene McCluney
13-Apr-2008, 11:41
Jim, did you just scan your paper negatives and invert in Photoshop? for your web page.

gregstidham
13-Apr-2008, 12:00
There is something about that Aviar that I really like. I think Cooke made a mistake on it at the factory and you got lucky and found it. :) Send me a note if you ever want to sell that one.

Jim Galli
13-Apr-2008, 12:33
Thanks ALL. Mark, I did set the scene size wise to about equal a head and shoulder portrait for distance but the comparison probably ends there. I'd be happy with any of these for a portrait. Knowing which one to pick to match the person in front of the camera is kind of frightening.

Gene, yes, I haven't had time to print but past experience tells me the prints will be better than the scans. When you print the light has to make it's way through the paper fibers and that adds another element to the final piece.

Greg, you may be in luck. Yesterday the postman brought me a much cleaner version of that lens and yes, it is available and not really worth much. My pm's are about full so contact me off line at jimgalli at lnett dot com

ljsegil
13-Apr-2008, 12:40
Beautiful and fun, and another vote for the Pinkham, although the Cookes are awfully hard to resist.
LJS

Jim Galli
14-Apr-2008, 02:55
Well, it's 2:49 AM and I'm not thinking too well. Exhausted myself printing. I made a first print of the paper neg apricot blossom done with the 18" Hyperion and all I can say is, it's remarkable. The combination of lens diffusion and paper neg is different than anything I've seen in a very long time.

I'm flattered that many of you have asked me about buying prints. I normally simply don't go there. But this picture is so different I've decided to make 6 extras and offer them to my friends here for $45. Mounted or unmounted, your choice. I'll be printing on Adox #2 fiber paper. 6 only this time.

Mark Sawyer
14-Apr-2008, 09:45
Put me down for one, mounted or unmounted, your choice! I'm really curious about the print quality; I tried paper negatives back in the 1970's, and could never get a look I liked. Maybe it's time to play with it again...

Jim Galli
14-Apr-2008, 10:06
Put me down for one, mounted or unmounted, your choice! I'm really curious about the print quality; I tried paper negatives back in the 1970's, and could never get a look I liked. Maybe it's time to play with it again...

Thanks Mark! Aren't computers great. Take a short nap and sold three of the pictures :)

Hope you like it. PayPal is to jimgalli@lnett.com

All proceeds go to a good cause. I'm out of good 11X14 paper. Actually had a box of Forte I was counting on go gray on me.

Best, Jim

rippo
14-Apr-2008, 10:27
i gotta vote for the hyperion. i made a point of viewing the images quickly, without looking at which lens was which. didn't want to be influenced by 'brand names' and all (cooke fever...). i liked the weird artifacts the hyperion had...if you're going to have OOF areas, they might as well warp the very reality of space and time. no sense playing safe with one's bokeh.

thanks for the comparisons.

Murray
14-Apr-2008, 10:44
I never tire of these either.

Those who do can politely doze off.

I will study them closer. I need eye training. To the uninitiated it can be a little like house- or car-shopping, a lot of similarity and it becomes difficult to articulate what subtle differences one sees.

goamules
14-Apr-2008, 20:18
I too, really look forward to your lens comparisons. Inspiring, contemplative, and beautiful.

Mike Boden
14-Apr-2008, 20:39
Jim,

Beautiful imagery...as always! My favorite is the Gundlach Hyperion 18".

seawolf66
18-Apr-2008, 11:02
Jim: The Cooke 12-3/4 is the cats meowin my book, since the wife is by your side helping you, If I sent you my address would she mail me that lens:

Jim Galli
18-Apr-2008, 11:33
Jim: The Cooke 12-3/4 is the cats meowin my book, since the wife is by your side helping you, If I sent you my address would she mail me that lens:

Tell you what, send your address and I'll send you her 2 dogs! Can't seem to teach 'em not to pee on the carpet. :p