PDA

View Full Version : Press Camera Lenses on 4x5

PaulRicciardi
12-Apr-2008, 06:37
It's been a while since I've posted anything on the forums but I've been lurking like always.

Anyways, I've been looking through some of the posts with the infamous "Swirly Bokeh" and thinking about how to achieve it on the cheap. From what I understand part of it is caused by the lens itself and part of it is caused by using a lens with inadequate coverage. So what that gets me to is could I use a press lens on a 4x5? Would it get me the swirly bokeh or just get me a vignette? I've got a 100mm f/3.5 Mamiya Press lens that has a pretty big coverage circle and I kind of always get this idea to try it on a 4x5.

I'm about to start a summer long 4x5 portrait project that is based around oddball techniques and home made lenses. I think I will be trying Mark Sawyer's magnifying glass lens and I'm currently building a ringflash to see where that goes. Some swirly bokeh could be fun too.

I'm sure someone has done it, any ideas or words of advice before I go and slap a press lens on a lensboard?

Thanks
Paul

Toyon
12-Apr-2008, 06:48
Try removing one of the elements on your non-symmetrical lenses.

Pat Hilander
15-Apr-2008, 12:18
Press lenses will probably just get you a vignette, at least that's my experience using lenses designed to cover 2x3" and 3x4" on a 4x5. But give it a try and see, you might like the results.