PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Yorkshire!

BennehBoy
12-Apr-2008, 06:07
Hi,

I recently purchased a Sinar P2 4x5 after quite a bit of deliberation on what I would need for my shooting - I'm intending to use the camera for indoor and outdoor (luggable from car boot) environmental portraiture and straight environmental shots.

http://benneh.net/m62corridor/index.asp - the kind of thing I'll be shooting (shot here on 6x7)

I figured that shooting with a view camera will give me the best level of control.

Anyhow, I own 'Photography 8th Edition' by London, Upton, etc, and there's a very good introduction to large format work within, but I wondered what you guys might suggest as further reading material? Presumably I ought to grab one/some of the Sinar LF books?

Sorry if I've missed a suggested reading link somewhere, please point me at it if so!

I'm hoping to acquire both 90 & 150mm lenses soon, my understanding is that I'll need a bag bellows to use the 90 effectively. Should I also be looking to get hold of a suitable shading system? Perhaps an additional standard bellows + rod/holder or the multipurpose standard? I own a Lee Pro filter system, is the Lee bellows shade worth investigating?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ben

Ralph Barker
12-Apr-2008, 06:43
Welcome to the LF Forum, Ben.

If you haven't found it yet, be sure to check out the home page here (link in the blue bar) - lot's of helpful info.

Pete Watkins
12-Apr-2008, 11:31
Frank Meadow Sutcliff did most of his work in Yorkshire, what a challenge. Looking at his pictures is a lesson in itself. Srart by photographing outside Whitby, it's a beautiful county, shame about the beer :-) .
Best wishes,
Pete.

Capocheny
12-Apr-2008, 12:10
Hi Ben,

That P2 is a big camera to lug around for any distance! :)

Good as the Sinar series of books are... you might also want to pick up a book called Using The View Camera by Jim Stone. Or, Landscape and Large Format Photography by Jack Dykinga. Both are excellent.

Sinar has one targeted on shooting landscapes... quite good but very expensive for what it is. My personal favorite on shooting landscapes is the one by Dykinga.

As to the lens shading system... I use the multi-purpose standard and bellows indoors. The bellows and rod system works well outdoors.

If you're looking at a 90 in the future, pick up the WA bellows and use that as a shade when you're shooting with other lenses. And, when shooting with the 90... use the WA bellows as the main bellows and use the pleated bellows for the shade. Dual usage.

Welcome to the LF club!

Cheers

Ash
12-Apr-2008, 12:15
Ayup! :)

BennehBoy
13-Apr-2008, 02:20
@Ralph, thanks for the welcome, I've been have a very close perusal of the info on the main home page - ta!

@Pete, Whitby is gorgeous, I'll be concentrating on the urban landscape to start with but I'm sure I'll end up in Whitby or Robin Hoods Bay before too long. Mmmm Timmy Taylor's 'Landlord' - amber nectar!

@Capocheny, some great advice, I really hadn't thought about just getting the bag and alternating the bellows' that way.

@Ash, eh up lad :)

BennehBoy
19-Apr-2008, 06:54
Well, my P2 arrived and it's in pretty good condition.

There's one minor thing I want to rectify, but I'm not sure if I'm being a bit precious so would appreciate some advice.

Basically the front standard sits slightly rotated (only a very small amount) around the rail in relation to the rear - it's fine until I tighten the rail clamp on the bearer, then it slightly keels over. Any thoughts on how to rectify this - or am I just being daft?

Thanks.