PDA

View Full Version : mounting lenses in lensboards

AFSmithphoto
10-Apr-2008, 14:32
Hello all,
I'm fairly new to the large format world, so please forgive the begginer's question.
I've become fairly comfortable with my one and only lens for my super graphic, and feel it is time to add a second to my aresenal. However, I know NOTHING about mounting lenses in lens boards. I'm fairly handy so if its a simple process, I imagine I might be able to do it, if not, well that would have an effect on the landscape wouldn't it?
So the big question, if I get a lens sans lensboard (or in the wrong kind of lens board) and a graphlex lens board to go with it, am I gonna be good to go? If not, how much can I expect to pay to have someone do it for me? Should I concentrate on finding an already graphic mounted lens?
Any help apreciated.

wmdyer1
10-Apr-2008, 18:35
I'm new at large format too. Just got my camera and a few lens a couple months ago. So far I've found mounting lens to boards fairly easy if you take your time and have a steady hand. You'll need a lens wrench available, quite reasonably, at B&H or Midwest Camera Exchange for about $12-18 USD. There's also an excellent description of the process here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/
Hope that helps.
Bill

Ron Marshall
10-Apr-2008, 18:52
Very simple, but take care not to scratch a lens element. Unscrew the rear lens element from the shutter, unscrew the mounting ring (big thin nut holding the lens to the board). Reverse the process to mount on the new board.

KEH has lots of cheap used lensboards:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=50&CCC=21&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

wmdyer1
10-Apr-2008, 18:54
Pardon me, I misspoke. I should have said you can get a lens wrench at
Midwest Photo Exchange.
Bill

AFSmithphoto
10-Apr-2008, 20:21
Thanks for the help guys! Midwest it is.

David Karp
10-Apr-2008, 21:18
When you call Midwest, ask for Jim. He is the LF guy there. The others are nice, but not nearly as knowledgeable as Jim.