PDA

View Full Version : Experince with Linhof Superscreen

Bill Henick
5-Jan-2001, 17:45
I'm using the ground glass with my TK 45S. I would prefer a screen that is unif ormly brighter, and easier to focus. I saw the Beattie- much brighter, but I did n't love it. The Bos is too delicate for me(in terms of temperature tolerence). Is the best advice just to stick with the original ground glass? What is your e xperince and advice. Thanks.

M.
5-Jan-2001, 18:47
The Super Screen was a big improvement on my Technika, but the little one centimeter lines drive me crazy. It was very easy to install.

adam friedberg
6-Jan-2001, 00:41
i have used a superscreen for a couple of years and think it is a good compromise. it can warp under certain conditions - it is plastic. check the focussing screens threads for previous discussions. i also use a similar screen made by bill maxwell. it is better than the superscreen but also a little more expensive. i think it's worth the money.

zippy
6-Jan-2001, 08:30
I've had some focus problems with the Linhof's superscreen and eventually replaced it. HP Marketing suggests putting shims under the edges of the screen to help keep it uniformly propped up. I have found that the center of the screen can buckle giving improper focus.

Dave_958
6-Jan-2001, 22:56
I eliminated the Supercreen warping by inserting compressible cue-sticks between the screen and the overhanging edges of the TK45 fram

adam friedberg
7-Jan-2001, 00:25
david, what are "compressible cue sticks" and where did you find them?

Brian Ellis
7-Jan-2001, 19:54
I don't know whether your concern about the Bosscreen and temperature is because of high or low temperatures. However, FWIW, I live in Florida and the temperature stays pretty much in the low to mid 90s, occasionally low 100s, from June to October. I've used the Bosscreen on two different cameras (and have a third on order) for about six years without a problem. I don't treat the camera any differently because of the Bosscreen and really pretty much forget about the supposed high temperature problems until I read something like your message. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the temperature has to get to something like 120 and stay there for a while before there is a problem and I'm sure not going to be out photographing in anything like that. I've heard of people having some temporary problem with the wax in real low temperatures but I don't encounter low temperatures so I don't know. I would strongly recommend the Bosscreen for most applications in most locations.

Dave_958
9-Jan-2001, 19:29
For the wedge, I used a Johnson & Johnson cotton swab commonly used to remove ear wax. It is made of a white plastic tube about three inches long and one-eighth inch diameter, with cotton at each end. It is a perfect fit with the TK4