PDA

View Full Version : William Corey has passed on

RonnieJ
9-Apr-2008, 20:23
William Corey, known for his photographs of Japanese gardens, died March 31st.

Corey was a friend of mine and I will miss him.
For those who are unaware, follow the links for more about one of our fellow artists.

http://www.williamcorey.com/japanese-garden-photographer-about/index.html

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008/apr/04/william-corey-march-31-2008-boulder-photographer/

Thank you

roteague
9-Apr-2008, 20:56
Nice work. I wasn't aware of him before, unfortunately, but I am now. Thanks for sharing this.

John Berry
9-Apr-2008, 22:17
Sorry to hear of the loss of a friend. His work is simply majestic.

domenico Foschi
9-Apr-2008, 22:39
I am troubled to read this news.
William was a talented and very supportive photographers with his peers.
I never personally met him but we have exchanged emails occasionally.
The idea of deleting his email address from my address book saddens me.

steve simmons
10-Apr-2008, 04:57
View Camera did a piece on his 8x20 vertical portraits about a year ago. He also did very nce work in the Japanese gardens.

steve simmons

Mike Castles
10-Apr-2008, 04:58
He will be missed, for those who have not seen much of his there was also an article in VC in the last year or so (sorry not at home and do not recall the issue). The article was very good, and there is a Great photograph of him with his 8x20 camera on it's side.

Sorry, Steve we were posting at the same time it seems.

Eric Biggerstaff
10-Apr-2008, 06:27
Sad, he was a wonderful talent.

rknewcomb
10-Apr-2008, 06:36
WOW! I'm very sorry.
Robert Newcomb

wfwhitaker
10-Apr-2008, 07:27
I'm always impressed when someone with one camera, one lens and one film can make photographs far better than I could ever hope to make with fifteen cameras, eighty lenses and several different films.

Ed Richards
10-Apr-2008, 10:13
So young too.

Meaning no offense to my colleagues here, Corey was the person who made me think that there was something to ULF beyond the usual reasons for bigger, faster, etc. (Not that I am immune to those same temptations.)

Sanjay Sen
10-Apr-2008, 10:38
I am saddened by this news. He will be missed.

I first came across William Corey through his vertical 8x20 projects, and his interview featured on Mamut Photo's website (http://www.mamutphoto.com/content/view/140/29/lang,en/). His work on Japanese Gardens is beautiful and indeed timeless. What a great photographer!

RIP.

Once
10-Apr-2008, 11:24
One of not so many photographers I admired because of his inner searching approach to the photography.

Hugo Zhang
10-Apr-2008, 12:34
I have been to his website and his 8x20 pictures inspired me into the ULF format.

I will say this: his pictures will have a long life and will "grace the disgrace of death".

Hugo

Capocheny
10-Apr-2008, 14:48
Wasn't familiar with his work... but I am now!

He was a very talented artist.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Cheers

Jim Galli
10-Apr-2008, 15:19
Ohhh! Those spectacular portraits. He knew the secret wasn't the camera or the lens, it was getting someone if front of the camera. What a loss. I am sorry to hear of it.

John Kasaian
10-Apr-2008, 15:41
Very sad, but his photography is wonderful memorial and artifact of the man.

Rick Olson
10-Apr-2008, 15:52
This is very sad. Mr. Corey is actually the one that inspired me to get my Chamonix 8 x 20 based on the beautiful images he created with this format. I communicated with him by e-mail a few months back regarding his process and he gave me some great pointers. It is an e-mail that I will treasure.

Rick

Greg Lockrey
10-Apr-2008, 23:47
Ohhh! Those spectacular portraits. He knew the secret wasn't the camera or the lens, it was getting someone if front of the camera. What a loss. I am sorry to hear of it.

Dittoes ;) o! I particularly enjoyed his portraits also.