PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bellows

Jan_6568
9-Apr-2008, 18:32
Hello,
I bought an 8x10 which needs new bellows. I know of Camera Bellows in England and I will also inquire Mark Kapono but I am wondering if there are any other options out there,

best regards,

Jan

Erik Larsen
9-Apr-2008, 18:40
I just ordered up a set of 11z14 from Turner bellows. 300 bucks. I have used western bellows and the quality is nice, but it took forever and many annoying phone calls to get him to do it. It was more expensive than turner. With the dollar being what it is, you might find it expensive to use Camera bellows.
Good luck
Erik

Murray
9-Apr-2008, 19:00
I have not heard anything positive yet since Mark Kapono has allegedly resurfaced. Prior to recent confirmation he is indeed alive, there have been many posts on various sites about lack of communication/responses, and in some cases after payment was made.

So, it would be prudent to find recent confirmation of followthrough on an order before considering that a viable option.

I can say that I have never gotten any responses at all over a period of more than a year, so obviously I didn't send any money.

Don Dudenbostel
9-Apr-2008, 19:44
I emailed Mark today and received 2 responses from him. He quoted a price of just over $400 for my 11x14 Seneca bellows and said 7-10 days in house.

What have the problems been?

John T
9-Apr-2008, 19:44
Jan,

What camera?

Clyde Rogers
9-Apr-2008, 20:58
I have to put in a plug for Camera Bellows in the UK, and mention one other option.

Last month I replaced a "standard" Phillips 4x5 bellows with the current Phillips "lightweight" bellows (which Dick Phillips has made at Camera Bellows). It is indeed a far more flexible bellows, and really transforms the camera.

I brought the bellows to the post office in Minnesota Thursday, it reached CB Tuesday, and they sent the new bellows out late Wednesday. It arrived the following Monday. Shipping cost about $30 each way (for express mail), the bellows cost 85 GBP. You likely can get a cheaper bellows, but you won't find a better one with less trouble.

The other option (if they still exist)---about ten years ago I got a Deardorff 5x7 bellows from Flexible Products Corp. in Florida. Not as nice a bellows as the CB (heavier, stiffer, more rubbery material), but perfectly serviceable, quite a bit cheaper (but it was a while ago...), and hassle free. I wouldn't be happy with this bellows on my Phillips, but it was perfectly fine on the Deardorff.

Until later,

Clyde

Jan_6568
9-Apr-2008, 21:19
Well, certainly is not a Phillips, not even a Deardorff. It is a humble Burke and James.
Thanks to all,

Jan

Murray
9-Apr-2008, 21:35
The problems I had were simply no response, but have read many angry pitchfork & torch posts about payments made & no communication for a very long time.

One guy contacted the university Mark reportedly works/worked at & they confirmed his presence.

I hoped that he just needed to get his act together & would follow through.

If you Google (not a verb) him, you will probably find some history. I was also contacted by a couple people telling me to steer clear when I posted an inquiry about communications.

Maybe there was a reason for the low profile and it'll all get better. Just do some research first.

David Karp
9-Apr-2008, 21:57
Jim at Western Bellows did the new bellows on my Improved Seneca. No problems. No irritations, really nice work.

lenser
9-Apr-2008, 22:01
I had Turner make a new bellows for my 8x10 Ansco in the early eighties. Still looks perfect and works like a charm. They're on my list for my ancient Century Studio View in the near future.

Tim

eddie
10-Apr-2008, 03:46
i used turner bellows for my 4x5 bellows. great service and a reasonable turn around. all in all a good experience.

eddie

Rafael Garcia
10-Apr-2008, 04:31
Mark folded my bellows before the dissapearance incident, and I recommended him then. His bellows are wonderful and he was very fast and responsive. I would do business with him again, but I understand everyone's hesitation who had no business with him prior to his going silent. Just a thought: those who support LF are a rare resource. Mark offers a good service, and it's up to us to keep him around, in our own interest. There is always risk when dealing with some of the personalities around LF photography. Some of us may be willing to take that risk to preserve something that is worth it, some may not. Your choice.

ic-racer
10-Apr-2008, 05:40
Hello,
I bought an 8x10 which needs new bellows. I know of Camera Bellows in England and I will also inquire Mark Kapono but I am wondering if there are any other options out there,

best regards,

Jan

Two additional options would be either Gortite: http://www.gortite.com/bellows/photography.html or building one yourself.

Jan_6568
10-Apr-2008, 13:52
Mark folded my bellows before the dissapearance incident, and I recommended him then. His bellows are wonderful and he was very fast and responsive. I would do business with him again, but I understand everyone's hesitation who had no business with him prior to his going silent. Just a thought: those who support LF are a rare resource. Mark offers a good service, and it's up to us to keep him around, in our own interest. There is always risk when dealing with some of the personalities around LF photography. Some of us may be willing to take that risk to preserve something that is worth it, some may not. Your choice.

Rafael,
I do not get your line of reasoning. If I order the bellows form Camera Bellows or from Turner I am also ordering from a company which supports LF - right? All of those support LF, could you please explain the difference? I do not see it.

best regards,

Jan