PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Polaroid

franklphoto
9-Apr-2008, 07:03
Does anyone know what the deal is with 8x10 polaroid?
Did they license it? Will Fuji make it?
I need help!!!

Walter Calahan
9-Apr-2008, 07:19
I'd love to know, too.

8x10 Polaroid ain't cheap, but it has wonderful characteristics if you like its look and feel.

Ralph Barker
9-Apr-2008, 08:49
There have been mentions of both Fuji and Ilford/Harman being "in discussions" with the owners of Polaroid, but no announcements of any decisions, either way.

I love the look of 8x10 Polaroid, even as expensive (and often wasteful) as it is. But, I'm not holding my breath.

franklphoto
9-Apr-2008, 20:25
then what does one do to do test shots?

David A. Goldfarb
9-Apr-2008, 20:33
Process them on the spot.

I've been experimenting with monobath development, which was one of the methods used before Polaroid, but just for B&W. I gather that in furniture studios where they regularly shot in 11x14", it wasn't unusual to use B&W as a proofing medium for color.

franklphoto
9-Apr-2008, 20:59
that would take too much time. i need quick results.

Dirk Rösler
9-Apr-2008, 23:24

Have not heard this on the LF forum before :p

lenser
9-Apr-2008, 23:32
Until someone licenses it and make us happy, try this.

8x10 to 4x5 reducing back (not hard to make) with Fuji instant film. Not the whole frame, but at least you get the gist and can correct for exposure.

Tim

Greg Lockrey
9-Apr-2008, 23:43
Until someone licenses it and make us happy, try this.

8x10 to 4x5 reducing back (not hard to make) with Fuji instant film. Not the whole frame, but at least you get the gist and can correct for exposure.

Tim

Nah, you need at least a 20x24" to know for sure. :rolleyes:

David A. Goldfarb
10-Apr-2008, 04:09

Monobath processing isn't as quick as Polaroid, of course, but you can have a negative ready to wash after processing in a single solution in about 6 minutes (faster with some formulas, but those typically require more exotic chemicals). It could be done in a changing tent, and if there is no more 8x10" Polaroid, the options for proofing become Fuji instant film in a different format or digital.

Ted Stoddard
10-Apr-2008, 06:50
Yeah I hope to get into 8x10 Polaroid Transfers at my studio/darkroom once it opens up... I can not even find the frickin film on any site to purchase... I hope they give it to Ilford I think they may do a better job but Fuji will work to as long as it is the same product and no changing it...

Gene McCluney
10-Apr-2008, 07:27
When I used to do 8x10 transparencies of tabletop product shots in my studio (I now do 4x5), I would process a test transparency in my in-house lab, evaluate it just as soon as it was in the final wash...then proceed to shoot the shots...all at same magnification..so no bellows factor compensation.

Using a 4x5 reducing back is the way to go now, if you need to test for 8x10. The fuji 4x5 pack films are very very good.

franklphoto
13-Apr-2008, 17:02
we need to write fuji and illford and let them know that we still need this!!

Alex Hawley
13-Apr-2008, 19:58
One can only hope - and wait for the outcome of all this.

Ralph Barker
13-Apr-2008, 20:04
we need to write fuji and illford and let them know that we still need this!!

Writing e-mails or letters, including projected usage figures, may be helpful. But, either company will likely base any licensing decisions on the economics of actual sales figures. My guess would be that neither company is anxious to assume a lot of financial risk. We should remember that Ilford/Harman just recently came out of a receivership via a management buy-out.

Alex Hawley
13-Apr-2008, 20:08
We should remember that Ilford/Harman just recently came out of a receivership via a management buy-out.

Yes, and that is a good thing because the new Directors all have a passion for film photography.

Gordon Moat
14-Apr-2008, 14:40
I have heard the Fujifilm is at least investigating making 8x10 instant films. This would be a decision of cutting and packaging, more than licensing, since they already make Intstant films. The other thing, which is more likely, is expanding their range of Instant products; currently some of their Instant films and Japan only.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Ralph Barker
14-Apr-2008, 16:55
I have heard the Fujifilm is at least investigating making 8x10 instant films. This would be a decision of cutting and packaging, more than licensing, since they already make Intstant films. The other thing, which is more likely, is expanding their range of Instant products; currently some of their Instant films and Japan only.

Wouldn't that depend on the scope and terms of their current license? If Polaroid continues to exist, but just shuts down production of instant films, Fuji may still be limited on their range of products and direct sales within the U.S.

steve simmons
14-Apr-2008, 17:47
Fuji will show at foto3 what they are working on in this regard.

steve simmons

Fred L
14-Apr-2008, 19:42
so there might be the slimmest of slimmest hopes my 8x10 processor won't become a paperweight ?

Gordon Moat
16-Apr-2008, 18:49
I don't recall what the limitation were on selling Fuji Instant in North America. If it was a non-compete agreement, they certainly would not be competing when there are no Polaroid products available.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)