PDA

View Full Version : Copal Polaroid Shutters. Any other glass fit it?

Wayne Crider
8-Apr-2008, 13:23
I've got a 75mm Tominon in a Copal Polaroid press shutter. Will any other glass besides Tominon fit this shutter.

photographs42
8-Apr-2008, 13:45
Don't know it there are different sizes but mine is a Copal 1
Jerome

Glenn Thoreson
8-Apr-2008, 14:13
Some of these shutters have aperture blades, some don't. Some are no.0 shutters, some are no.1. Some have larger maximum opening than others. Any lens cells made to fit the shutter size, i.e. Copal no.0 or no.1, will screw into the thing. Problem is, will lens spacing be right? Will the cells collide with the shutter innards? The apperture won't be right and may not be correctable. In other words, they're of limited use. Clumsy to use, too, if it requires separate cable releases for Bulb and the other speeds. Not worth much.

erie patsellis
8-Apr-2008, 14:17
If it has an aperture control and you decide to sell it, let me know.

erie

Alan Davenport
8-Apr-2008, 14:18
They're also handy for pinhole photography.... :-)

Jim Galli
8-Apr-2008, 17:03
Lots of stuff will fit with this caveat. Those shutters only have a 15mm aperture. So say you find a nice old f4.5 Xenar cells 150mm. You can put it in that shutter but it will start at f10. The rest of the glass is masked by the tiny aperture hole. Bummer. A 210 G-Claron will go in but it's masked to f14 by the 15mm hole etc. They're mostly useless. Good for pinholes as someone has said. Or do like the guy in Albuquerque and tell us it's a 75mm wide angle that covers 4X5 with movements.

erie patsellis
8-Apr-2008, 17:46
Jim, as we've discussed before, some (a few, quite likely the earlier ones) have apertures that are as large as a standard #1, I know the one I had my 127 4.7 Tominion (as well as several others through the years) in was a standard sized one.

erie

Jim Galli
8-Apr-2008, 17:53
Jim, as we've discussed before, some (a few, quite likely the earlier ones) have apertures that are as large as a standard #1, I know the one I had my 127 4.7 Tominion (as well as several others through the years) in was a standard sized one.

erie
Quite right but he asked about a 75mm one. 127 f4.7 is almost as big as normal. Still blocks a 5.6 210mm Symmar to f7 though.

erie patsellis
8-Apr-2008, 20:01
I stand corrected, missed the 75mm reference.

erie

Murray
10-Apr-2008, 14:32
Anyonw know if the 127 Tominon/Polaroid Copal shutter has 'normal' Copal 1 spacing?

Also, the threaded flange has such short threads it needs a very thin lensboard (which is normal on Crown/Speed Graphic, but not normal on (homebrew) wooden lensboards).

Jim Galli
10-Apr-2008, 15:24
Anyonw know if the 127 Tominon/Polaroid Copal shutter has 'normal' Copal 1 spacing?

Also, the threaded flange has such short threads it needs a very thin lensboard (which is normal on Crown/Speed Graphic, but not normal on (homebrew) wooden lensboards).

Yes, spacing is normal. I've mounted a lot of 210 240 G-Claron's in these shutters. Many of the G-Claron's were sold with a Copal 1 sized flange instead of the jamb nut. The flange works perfectly for wood lens boards. A router table to cut the rebate also works just fine.

Murray
10-Apr-2008, 16:56
Thank you