PDA

View Full Version : 2x5"

jimi-the-jive
7-Apr-2008, 16:16
i was thinking of splitting a 5x4" darkslide in 2 so i can expose two panoramic shots onto one sheet, will the edge of the darkslide create a sharp edge on the neg????

David A. Goldfarb
7-Apr-2008, 16:30
Yes, as long as it's nice and straight and smooth. I've done the same with 8x10".

Brian Schall
7-Apr-2008, 16:56
I've been thinkin of doing the same thing. Just don't have an extra darkslide at the moment. Make the cut just under 2", that way when you turn it over and shot the other half, there will be a thin strip between the two exposures.

Ed Richards
7-Apr-2008, 17:32
And tie it to the camera with a string so you will not be tempted to pull out the holder with the half slide still in.:-)

Kuzano
7-Apr-2008, 17:43
i was thinking of splitting a 5x4" darkslide in 2 so i can expose two panoramic shots onto one sheet, will the edge of the darkslide create a sharp edge on the neg????

That actually gives you two shots that are incredibly close to the 6X12cm Panorama. With proper tracking, you should get four panorama's on one double holder, with perspective control. If a roll of 120 gives 8 6X9 shots, that would mean that one double holder would almost be the equivalent of using one roll of 120 film for panoramas. An economical plus, considering that a 6X12 panorama camera alone with no perspective controls would approach prices of $800 to 1,000 for some of the lesser expensive variations.

Anupam
7-Apr-2008, 18:08
All of these shots (http://www.flickriver.com/photos/primelens/tags/panoramic) were made this way. It works great. I cut out a piece of matboard 2x5 to cover the ground glass portion that is unused to help with composition.

David A. Goldfarb
7-Apr-2008, 18:13
All of these shots (http://www.flickriver.com/photos/primelens/tags/panoramic) were made this way. It works great. I cut out a piece of matboard 2x5 to cover the ground glass portion that is unused to help with composition.

Nice shots!

D. Bryant
7-Apr-2008, 19:24

Nice work indeed. The compositions are very nice and I like the image tonality. What film do you use?

Don Bryant

Anupam
7-Apr-2008, 19:28
What film do you use?

Thanks. These are with Fomapan 100 (Arista.Edu Ultra) at EI 50 in HC110. I took Saint Ansel's word at face value and bought 500 sheets with my first 4x5 camera and still have a few to go.

Scott Kathe
7-Apr-2008, 19:54
Anyone ever made one of these out of birch plywood or something else? Seems a shame to trash a functioning darkslide.

Nathan Potter
7-Apr-2008, 20:13
Anupam, great shots. I especially like the image with the cattails. I did a few shots some years ago using a halved 5X7 dark slide but I regret that was before I had the kind of talent that you exhibit above.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jeff Bannow
8-Apr-2008, 05:21
Is there any one that makes / sells these? I could make the ground glass mask, but I don't have the tools to cut the dark slide in half.

- Jeff

David A. Goldfarb
8-Apr-2008, 05:33
You can do it with an X-acto knife, a straightedge, and some sandpaper to smooth the edge. You want to cut it into an L shape, so that a full strip of darkslide still goes into the holder at the handle edge to engage the light trap and keep the mask portion straight. The mask should be slightly more than half the frame so you have some space between the two images.

Bender used to sell them, but I don't know that they do anymore. Check benderphoto.com

al olson
9-Apr-2008, 04:29
It is easy enough to make one. Anytime I could find a bargain price, I purchased used holders, more than I need. Some holders were unusable, hence surplus dark slides.

It is easy enough to make one. With the dark slide in the holder I drew a pencil line across the top. Then I took a t-square and drew a pencil line down just a little off the center. With the plastic dark slide it is then a simple matter to use a pair of household scissors to make the cutout. Clean edge! No sanding necessary!

venchka
9-Apr-2008, 14:06
The answers to my questions before I knew enough to ask them. Thanks everyone!

OK, I have question: So that I don't have to watch the For Sale ads 24/7, does anyone have a darkslide or two to donate for the cost of postage & a cold brewski?

Anupam
9-Apr-2008, 14:10
B&H has them new for about $12 a pop if you absolutely want to avoid ebay. But you can get holders with 2 slides for less used, of course.

venchka
9-Apr-2008, 14:15
Houston Camera Co-op has a film holder bone yard. I'll go through them the next time I'm there. I don't do ebay. Anymore.

Michael Roberts
6-Jun-2008, 04:22
I have some 2x5 dark slides already cut if any of you are still looking. See my listing in the FS/WTB section.