PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Pro 160S

David Luttmann
7-Apr-2008, 13:29
I just obtained a mountain (well a small one) of 500 Fuji Pro 160S quickload sheets. I don't use film for portraiture any longer....especially not in 4x5. Has anyone used this film for landscape work in place of films like Astia (my normal film) or Provia?

Any comments re: Exposure guidelines, general tips, annoyances, scanning, etc would be appreciated!

Don Hutton
7-Apr-2008, 13:51
Outstanding stuff - probably my choice 1st choice for general color landscape shooting. I rate it at 100, but it has excellent exposure latitude. Excellent color saturation, sharp etc. It scans very well on my drum scanner, but I have scanned a lot of 8x10 Pro 160 on an Epson 4990 too. Probably my first choice as a negatve film for a flatbed scanner. Silverfast's profile is far from perfect, but it's a fair starting point.

Bruce Watson
7-Apr-2008, 13:57
What Don said.

I find it pretty much a toss up with 160Portra. I like the color balance of the Portra just a bit more so that's the one I use. They both have excellent scanning performance as well as outstanding sharpness, and of course the ability to capture just about any SBR you encounter. Because of the outstanding performance of negative films I haven't shot any tranny film in five or six years now.

David Luttmann
7-Apr-2008, 14:07
What Don said.

I find it pretty much a toss up with 160Portra. I like the color balance of the Portra just a bit more so that's the one I use. They both have excellent scanning performance as well as outstanding sharpness, and of course the ability to capture just about any SBR you encounter. Because of the outstanding performance of negative films I haven't shot any tranny film in five or six years now.

I'm just in the process of selling the medium format gear I have with a few hundred rolls of Astia, NPS, NPC, among others.....I've virtually stopped using MF as I enjoy my DSLRs enough and if I want better quality, I just grab the LF rig.

That said, I've been preferring my neg film results over Astia and Provia lately.....just a different look. When I was able to grab this nice lot of quickload, I figured, what the heck.

Thanks for the info.

Ron Marshall
7-Apr-2008, 15:21
Scans very well. I shoot it at EI 125.

Jiri Vasina
7-Apr-2008, 22:30
I shoot it only in rolls, but there it's my main color film. Very easy to use, very forgiving to my errors, great latitude, sharpness. I also expose it at EI 125. And I use it both for landscapes and portraits...

anchored
7-Apr-2008, 22:52
I've shot a lot of Fuji Pro-160... it's my favorite negative film. My "regular" use film is Astia or Velvia (Provia only used for nocturnals), but when lighting conditions are less than ideal, out comes the 160 with its greater latitude. I've always shot it at the rated 160-ASA. Scans nicely, prints nicely with excellent colors and good shadow details. Can't comment on portraits... I only shoot landscapes.