PDA

View Full Version : Omega D5500 repair/parts

al olson
6-Apr-2008, 12:19
All,

I have recently acquired an Omega D5500 enlarger that appears to be in good shape as a replacement for my current enlarger with the Beseler/Minolta 45A head (the flash tubes are no longer available and I am down to my last).

My problem is that the rubber rollers that provide micro-height adjustment have disintegrated. I have searched the web without finding the needed parts. I have also contacted khbPhotografix via email to see if they have the parts. (They claim to sell refurbished enlargers.)

I am wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced a similar problem with the D5500 and, if so, how did you resolve it. (Junking the enlarger is not the response I am looking for.)

My thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave Moeller
6-Apr-2008, 13:34
Contact Harry at Classic Enlargers (http://www.classic-enlargers.com/). He's the best Omega enlarger resource there is.

R Mann
6-Apr-2008, 15:14
I had the same problem and could not find either the parts or an easy way to dismantle it to get at the wheels - that plus the mis alignment that only could be resolved by shimming the baseboard and column make it easy for me to "junk" it. For what its worth the carriers and head parts I was able to sell for more than I paid for the D5500 enlarger package. The Beseler 45 enlarger series was a much better built unit, and much easier to work on than the D5500 in my opinion, I have also high opinions of the Durst and Omega units over a D5500. So, Unless you are doing color work and need the closed loop head and control unit I would advise thinking about another Brand of enlarger if you are not able to get it fixed cheaply.

ic-racer
6-Apr-2008, 16:52
I know I saw someone who has a 'refurbishing' kit for those rubber wheels, perhaps one of those places listed.

I have two D5500s and I did a little picture sequence showing how I fixed one of them with some large rubber O-rings. I will try to track down the photos....if I can't find them, I will re-do the photos because enlarger #2 is in need of new rubber wheels now also.

ic-racer
6-Apr-2008, 17:02
Ok, I found the pictures, all 30 of them...I will try to post the relevant ones.

The first sequence shows how to get the head off the column.

ic-racer
6-Apr-2008, 17:08
Next step is to get the knob off.

ic-racer
6-Apr-2008, 17:11
I used a rubber 'foot' from the hardware store and two large o-rings for each of the two sides. I don't have the measurements off hand, but once the axle is out you can measure it easily to see what size rubber pieces you need.

ic-racer
6-Apr-2008, 17:13
To get it back together just 'reverse the steps of disassembly' as they say...

I put some anti-seize on the knob so it wont freeze on there again.

al olson
7-Apr-2008, 05:51
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and especially to ic-racer for the do-it-yourself photos. This looks like an accomplishable project and I will begin working on it. Where I live, enlargers better than this are very hard to come by. If they have to be shipped any distance at all, the freight bill is more costly that the equipment.

The wealth of helpful information from members of this forum is amazing.
Thanks for your help,

al olson
12-Aug-2008, 17:16
It took a while to get around to it, but I have refurbed my D5500 using the instructive photos provided by ic-racer.

I have made one change to the solution, however. I have added more O-rings to the crutch tips so they get a better grip on the support beam (see attached image) for a total of 7 o-rings on each spool.

The first ring is 1 1/8" ID, the next four are 1 1/4", and the last two are 1 5/16", all with 1/8" walls. I could not find any with 1 3/8" ID at my local stores so I just stretched the ones I was able to find. This fix is working very well. Hope this might be useful info for others. Thank you ic-racer!

ic-racer
12-Aug-2008, 17:54
It took a while to get around to it, but I have refurbed my D5500 using the instructive photos provided by ic-racer.

I have made one change to the solution, however. I have added more O-rings to the crutch tips so they get a better grip on the support beam (see attached image) for a total of 7 o-rings on each spool.

The first ring is 1 1/8" ID, the next four are 1 1/4", and the last two are 1 5/16", all with 1/8" walls. I could not find any with 1 3/8" ID at my local stores so I just stretched the ones I was able to find. This fix is working very well. Hope this might be useful info for others. Thank you ic-racer!

Looks good!

RedSun
26-Aug-2012, 23:55
I'm working on repairing the Omega Prolab II (same as D5500). Here I'm stuck when I tried to take out the pins. What tools do you guys use? In the above pictures, I saw someone used the clamp to remove the pin.

On a separate page, do you know how many pieces of rubber the head brake has? Is that one piece each, or two pieces glued together.

ic-racer
27-Aug-2012, 15:21
I think the brake has two pieces of rubber. These needed to be re-glued on one of my heads.

9-145-0350 BRAKE PAD x2
9-301-0240 BRAKE PAD, SUPPORT x2

RedSun
27-Aug-2012, 17:47
Are those Omega part numbers? Where can I buy these? Thx.

ic-racer
3-Sep-2012, 06:06
Are those Omega part numbers? Where can I buy these? Thx.

Those are the Omega part numbers. The brake pad supports should be still there. The pads can be cut from some rubber. I don't recall off hand but perhaps something less than 1/4". On one of my heads the rubber pads fell off and I recovered them and glued them back on.

Another option would be the stick-on little rubber pads that go under heavy items. I just removed 4 from an enlarging easel that were too 'grippy' and would not let me slide the easel. Those would have made great replacements for the brake.

Rick A
4-Sep-2012, 03:10
I have a three lens turret that fits a D-5500, it will only cost postage for whom ever wants it.

jaf75
8-Sep-2015, 06:47
Ok, I found the pictures, all 30 of them...I will try to post the relevant ones.

The first sequence shows how to get the head off the column. Why aren't I able to see the photo's posted for this repair. We have the same problem with our enlarger at school. Any help on the matter would be great. Thanks.

ic-racer
8-Sep-2015, 07:47
That is too bad, maybe when the software was changed a few years ago the pictures went away. Maybe I can post them again. Here is a similar thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/93267-omega-d5500-filter-wheel-rubber-repair.html

lts
31-Mar-2016, 09:55
That is too bad, maybe when the software was changed a few years ago the pictures went away. Maybe I can post them again. Here is a similar thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/93267-omega-d5500-filter-wheel-rubber-repair.html

Hi, it would be very very nice if you could post the pictures again! Or at least the last ones.
I did get the rollers out of the column, but i don't understand the part with the O-rings...
Just have to see it, i think.

Thank you!

Sinarist
31-Mar-2016, 13:24
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and especially to ic-racer for the do-it-yourself photos.
Thanks for your help,

Hi, all
where can I find or open these pictures, showed by ice racer. I´m through with FAQ but without a result.
Greetings
Horst

Holger10
31-Oct-2018, 01:21

The first sequence shows how to get the head off the column.

Hallo from Berlin, I am new here sorry for my English.
I have exactly the same Problem. Are these photos still available somewhere?
Best regards from Germany
Holger Zimmermann

ic-racer
31-Oct-2018, 16:46
https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/omega-d5500-column-repair-rubber-wheels.136847/

Bob Salomon
31-Oct-2018, 17:00
Hallo from Berlin, I am new here sorry for my English.
I have exactly the same Problem. Are these photos still available somewhere?
Best regards from Germany
Holger Zimmermann

Omega-Brandess in Maryland is the manufacturer. Why not try them?

Holger10
1-Nov-2018, 01:24
Super that is what I was looking for. Many Thanks