PDA

View Full Version : Shift movement on Toyo (Omega) 45C

Navy Moose
5-Apr-2008, 19:37
Hello All,

I relatively recently started my adventures in large format. My Toyo 45C appears to have the ability to shift to the left and right on both the front element and the rear element. There are two triangular knobs on each element and a push down lock. There is also a scale on each element going from 4 on the left to 4 on the right.

Even after loosening these knobs, I wasn't able to shift either element.

The camera has no problem with rise / fall, tilt, and swing. Does this model camera allow the shift movement?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Navy Moose

Michael Graves
5-Apr-2008, 19:44
I have an older 45M. It has geared shifts and the knob is on the bottom of each standard pointing toward the ground. I'm not sure if the C is the same or not.

lenser
5-Apr-2008, 19:48
Moose,

I just opened Toyoview.com which shows the movements for the 45CF as having shift in front but not back.

At the bottom, they have a section for ask Toyo and a users forum, so maybe you can get definitive answers there.

Tim

tgtaylor
5-Apr-2008, 21:17
Hello All,

I relatively recently started my adventures in large format. My Toyo 45C appears to have the ability to shift to the left and right on both the front element and the rear element. There are two triangular knobs on each element and a push down lock. There is also a scale on each element going from 4 on the left to 4 on the right.

Even after loosening these knobs, I wasn't able to shift either element.

The camera has no problem with rise / fall, tilt, and swing. Does this model camera allow the shift movement?

Navy Moose

Moose,

Facing you and on the front of each standard you'll see two triangular knobs that are shapped like small propellers. Loosen one of the knobs and manually shift the standard to the left or right.

The 45C is a great camera.

Thomas

Navy Moose
6-Apr-2008, 07:11
Moose,

Facing you and on the front of each standard you'll see two triangular knobs that are shapped like small propellers. Loosen one of the knobs and manually shift the standard to the left or right.

The 45C is a great camera.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I had both knobs loose and I couldn't get the standard to move in any direction. It is possible the standard is frozen in place due to sitting in the original owners attic for over 10 years. I looked for places to put light machine oil or spray WD-40, but I couldn't find any obvious place to add the lubricant.

Navy Moose

Ralph Barker
6-Apr-2008, 07:14
As noted above, once the two small triangular knobs have been loosened, the shift on the 45C is manual, rather than geared as on the G and some other models. There is a fairly strong detent for centering, however, so it may just take a little more force than anticipated to overcome the detent.

tgtaylor
6-Apr-2008, 10:45
Hi Thomas,

I had both knobs loose and I couldn't get the standard to move in any direction. It is possible the standard is frozen in place due to sitting in the original owners attic for over 10 years. I looked for places to put light machine oil or spray WD-40, but I couldn't find any obvious place to add the lubricant.

Navy Moose

The standards slide along that rail that fits into the channel containing the shift scale. The knobs turn the attached screw which both locks the standard in position and allows movement. It may be that the screw is 'frozen' or locked down too hard. You can unscrew the knobs and turn the screw with a flat head screwdriver in the slot provided for that purpose. That should free it up. Lightly oil the rail and slide it back and forth thru its channel which contains the shift scale. The 45C has shift on both standards.

If the above doesn't do the trick, bring it to a reputable camera repair.

Navy Moose
6-Apr-2008, 15:40
The standards slide along that rail that fits into the channel containing the shift scale. The knobs turn the attached screw which both locks the standard in position and allows movement. It may be that the screw is 'frozen' or locked down too hard. You can unscrew the knobs and turn the screw with a flat head screwdriver in the slot provided for that purpose. That should free it up. Lightly oil the rail and slide it back and forth thru its channel which contains the shift scale. The 45C has shift on both standards.

If the above doesn't do the trick, bring it to a reputable camera repair.
I took off the knobs and tried using a small flathead screwdriver to loosen the screws. None of them moved in the least. I'll be contacting a few repair places for quotes in the AM. Thank you for your help!

Navy Moose