PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 45AX / AII lens question.

Michael Mahoney
3-Sep-1998, 18:25
To Toyo AX / AII users: Have you had any problems using a 90 lens with a standar d board?. Also how much coverage would this length of lens need to have to use a ll movements fully?. One last question -- Have you any second thoughts on your c amera, or any unexpected dissapointments? Many thanks in advance.

Kevin Gibson
4-Sep-1998, 13:07
If you can get onto the Toyo usa site www.toyoview.com they have a large format users forum which has lots of info on the 45AII, including this question.

However, I find that I don't always get a response from the server. But it is wo rth persisting.

Kevin

Ellis Vener
4-Sep-1998, 13:14
Michael, As you know, I went back and checked the threads and found several answ ers that are applicable to your first question. As regards coverage: virtually a ll modern wide angle lenses (that i am familiar with, which are the top four: Ro denstock, Nikon, Schneider, Fuji) have more than enough coverage for this focal length and your camera. Most of the answers I saw reviewing the related threads were positive about this family of cameras. I chose a Canham DLC for a field cam era because I regularly use lenses shorter than 90mm and longer than 210mm.

Robert Patrick
5-Sep-1998, 00:07
The Toyo 45AX I owned, was a dream to use with the 90mm Caltar 6.8. (The lens tr eated me fine, also.) The Toyo literature indicates the camera will handle lens es to 65 mm with the standard board. I bought it new June 28, 98 and sold it two days ago. Today I came home with a used Zone VI Classic built by Wisner. Compared to the Toyo, this old woodie is a bit shakey. I converted to wood for the aesthetics of wood. (Just personal taste.) The Toyo 45AX was great in all respects within the scope of its engineering. It feels and handles a bit different from what I am used to. It took only a short time to get used to the nature of the beast. I used 4 different lenses on the Toyo until I decided what to buy for glass. All 4 lenses (90, 150, 180, 210) ma de excellent negatives using the Toyo. My only gripe was the rear tilt was stif f and jerky. No doubt, that would wear in with time. R.P.

Eric Brody
7-Sep-1998, 13:32
I've had a Toyo Field for over ten years and each time I think I'd like to chang e (usually to a Canham DLC), I end up reminding myself that it's reliable, well made and does everything I'm likely to need. I have a 90mm f/8 Nikkor and have u sed it on both a recessed board and flat board. I got rid of the recessed board because it was more trouble than it was worth. I've been using the flat board fo r many years and it does quite well for the scenic, outdoor work I most often do .

Mike Long
7-Sep-1998, 22:44
I've really had no problems with my 90mm on the AX. You can exceed the movements of the rise and begin to pinch your bellows, but this is pretty extreme. I use a flat lensboard.

I have no disappointments or second thoughts on the camera as it suits my photography perfectly (for now). IF a 400 telephoto lens weren't long enough for me or IF a 75mm wideangle on a recessed board weren't wide enough, then I'd probably buy a different camera. Between those focal lengths, it's as good as any.

Matt Wensing
2-Feb-2004, 21:02
Along this line, I just acquired a 45AX and have difficulty getting the Grandagon N 75mm it came with to focus even with it completely compacted (this is on a non-recessed board).

Interestingly enough, the person that I bought it from threw in another lens without a shutter (not sure if this was an accident or not--the lens is completely unmarked); this other lens focuses at 3-4" away from objects on my desk, so I assume it's also roughly 75mm. Since it lacks the shutter, I am able to hold it in the mounting board hole, with its rear element closer to the ground glass than with my Grandagon 75, and with the bellows completely compacted it focuses fine.

My conclusion, then, is that perhaps I need a recessed board to focus my Grandagon 75? Otherwise I cannot get anything close to sharp (mostly abstract shapes).

Any thoughts (not to hijack the thread)?