PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon W vs. Apo Sironar N in 300m f5.6

sesshin
3-Apr-2008, 14:17
I need a long 5.6 lens on my 4x5 to be used in the studio for art reproduction. Ideally I would like a Sironar S or Apo Symmar L in this length, but unfortunately the ones I can find for sale are astronomically priced.

Is there anyone who has used the Fujinon W and/or the Sironar N in this focal length on 4x5 and can say which is better for my particular application? I don't use a lot of movements but would be interested in the bigger sweet spot, color/contrast and edge to edge sharpness.

sesshin
3-Apr-2008, 14:20
Also, I would like to know how the Apo Symmar S 300mm f5.6 compares to the other lenses as well for this application. Thanks.

mbmarks
3-Apr-2008, 16:43
PM sent

Nick_3536
3-Apr-2008, 22:42
All of these lenses have lots of coverage for 8x10 so no worries about 4x5. They are all BIG and HEAVY.

Vaughn
4-Apr-2008, 00:39
I use a Fuji W 300 f5.6 as my main 8x10 lens. Lots of movement on a 8x10. Heavy as mentioned, but as I do a lot of work in the dense forest, the speed of the lens is well worth it. It is in a Copol 3 shutter. No complaints about the lens...does a great job...good contrast, sharp to the corners of an 8x10 (I don't shoot color). I don't really think about its weight and size...doesn't seem big relative to an 8x10. It will dominate a 4x5 camera in a pack, though! Can your 4x5 handle such a lovely beast?

If you don't need the speed, the Fuji C 300/8.5 might be for you -- smaller and much lighter and still has an image circle that will allow more movements than your camera probably can make. Other possibilities is the Fuji A 300/9 and the Nikon M 300/9. All three are in Copol 1 shutters. The A has the same image circle as the W (420mm) and the C has 380mm...don't know the M's, but it would be in that ballpark.

Vaughn

JJ Viau
4-Apr-2008, 04:39
Hello there,

I can only speak about my experience with the 8x10 format. I use a monocoated 300W as my main lens today and used to use an Apo Sironar N 300mm too (but got frustrated with eth coverage). To me the Rodenstock negatives are sharper and contrastier. The Fuji is still the lens of choice for me for my type of work though...

JJ