PDA

View Full Version : More Filter advice please

Dave Saunders
2-Apr-2008, 12:36
I'm trying to get my head around what are the best filters for LF lenses. Why would any body use a screw in filter which limits its use to that 1 lens filter size, as oppose to using slot in filters which will cover all the lens sizes? Am I missing something, again?

Assuming my theory is correct (screw in is for rich people), what size slot in type filter should I use 85mm square or 100mm square

lenser
2-Apr-2008, 12:50
Dave,

I use the Cokin system. Others use Lee and some others, while screw-ins are popular with lots of folks.

My method was to choose the size that was appropriate for the largest diameter lens, then buy the Cokin ring for that then rings for the other size lenses in my kit. Just start with the largest you have or are planning to buy and use that size for them all.

Great system and no repeats of filters in the various sizes.

Tim

Alan Rabe
2-Apr-2008, 12:54
A lot of people will buy filters of the size that fits their largest lens diameter and then buy stepups for the other lens. So every time you get a new lens you need to buy a new stepup, maybe. Others use the Cokin style with the slip in, but again it has to fit mutliple lens types. Also most of these filters are not the best glass. I have found bubbles in Tiffen filters. Some, like myself, use mylar or gelatin filters mounted in a type of holder to protect it and just hold them in front of the lens when needed. I have a set of 8 4 in. Kodak wratten filters that I use frequently. Calumet makes filter frames that have an adhesive applied that you sandwich a filter between. I keep my filters in the little yellow envelope they come in. Works quite well and if you meter thru your filters it makes life a little easier.

roteague
2-Apr-2008, 12:58
I'm trying to get my head around what are the best filters for LF lenses. Why would any body use a screw in filter which limits its use to that 1 lens filter size, as oppose to using slot in filters which will cover all the lens sizes? Am I missing something, again?

Assuming my theory is correct (screw in is for rich people), what size slot in type filter should I use 85mm square or 100mm square

It depends, upon the filter and the purpose. I use both screw in and the Lee System. I think your theory is incorrect. I do my best to use the best quality materials I can, which for me that means Lee and B&W filters. I don't shoot LF to scrimp on materials.

Joanna Carter
2-Apr-2008, 13:02
Dave, if it helps, I use the Lee system of holders but Hitech filters by Formatt (here in the UK, well Wales anyway :p ) . The Lee holders are worth the extra money but the Hitech filters are very good value and quality for a lot less money than Lee.

Dave Saunders
2-Apr-2008, 13:09
Joanna, which ones they seem to do two sizes and different materials?

Eric Leppanen
2-Apr-2008, 13:29
There is no major quality difference between circular and rectangular filters. Which way you go is largely a function of how widely your filter thread sizes vary, and whether you plan to use ND grad filters.

Circular filters (a common strategy is to use step-up rings to standardize on a single filter size, frequently 77mm) incur the least bulk, and have the option for multi-coating, which can be helpful when shooting at or near the sun.

However, if you use ND grad filters, or own big lens glass (as an 8x10 shooter, I own a number of lenses with filter threads of 100mm or larger), then rectangular filters can be an attractive way to go. These filters are not coated (Singh-Ray once briefly sold coated rectangular filters, but stopped doing so as the coating proved not to be durable), but as long as you avoid shooting directly into the sun and keep the lens well shaded then this is not an issue. Lee and Singh-Ray make excellent ND grad filters made out of resin and glass, respectively; Lee and Tiffen make very good rectangular polariziing filters (the Lee filter system also has a provision for a circular polarizing filter located in front of the filter slots); and Hitach makes very cost-effective resin color compensation and B&W filters. I've been using the Lee filter system with a variety of Lee, Tiffen and Hitech filters and Lee hoods, and have been very happy with them.

The Lee filter system uses resin or glass 4x4" filters (4x6" in the case of ND grad filters) which are 2mm thick. Lee, Tiffen and Singh-Ray all make 4x4" or 4x6" filters (2mm thick) for use with the Lee system. Hitech makes 4x4" filters which, while only 1.5mm thick, still fit fine in Lee filter holders.

Ron Marshall
2-Apr-2008, 13:41
My lenses use many different filter sizes, but all have step-up rings to 67mm. I use screw-in for wratten # 11,12,25, polarizer, ND. The square glass filters are fine, the resin (plastic) scratch easily.

Joanna Carter
2-Apr-2008, 14:12
Dave, I use the 100mm resin filters. Unlike some other filters, Hitech are infused with the colour instead of being coated; thus, if you do scratch them, you don't lose the colouration.

Diane Maher
3-Apr-2008, 06:11
I use the Lee system. For lenses which have no threads, I just have to make do and hold the filter (usually in the Lee holder) in front of it.

Ben Chase
8-Apr-2008, 19:55
The Lee-sized 4"x6" rectangular filters (Singh-ray or Lee) are the way to go in my opinion. Why? It gives you the option to hand-hold them if you want, and they cover just about every lens I can think of without risking having the edges of the filter distort the light into the lens. Handholding a filter helps you overcome the appearance of the grad line by moving the filter up and down a few mm during the exposure.

I have an 82mm front thread on one of my lenses that the P-mount size just BARELY covers. Some lenses are into the 100mm range.

Get the 4"x6" filters for your grads.