PDA

View Full Version : Image circle for 270mm f10 Nikon Process

Herb Cunningham
31-Mar-2008, 12:16
I have the Japanese web site for this lens that lists it at 800mm ic at f22, but only have a dim memory of folks saying, "well, that's for 1:1, so you must take half of that for infinity shots"

all very nice, but is there any DATA that supports that premise? I plan on selling it, and think it might appeal to the ULF folks.

Dan Fromm
31-Mar-2008, 12:45
Herb, the Japanese site quotes Nikon's coverage claims. The coverage given is for 1:1, so at infinity the lens covers 400 mm. You can't beat simple geometry.

You're already on the slippery slope; the lens' nominal focal length is 260 mm, not 270. But don't restrain yourself. Hold the lens up in front of something, imagine you saw an enormous image circle and make whatever wild claims you want. If you make them on eBay no one will even tease you, let alone call you to account. Don't be constrained by reality.

While you're at it, why don't you put the words Topogon, Hologon, and Hypergon in the listing? Don't forget Dagor too, its a magic charm.

John Schneider
31-Mar-2008, 13:00
Several posts here claim that it covers 7x17. I haven't tested mine yet so I can't comment, but that seems to be the general consensus.

Don't forget Aviogon, Biogon, and maybe some soft focus names as well;)

Andy Eads
31-Mar-2008, 13:26
I have one of these gems but have not checked coverage except that it covers 8x10 with lots of room. It is a very sharp lens and Nikon publishes the distortion at 0.00%. I did a side by side comparison with a 10" Commercial Ektar and the Nikkor is sharper and has better contrast. The down side is the max aperture of f/10.