PDA

View Full Version : Creo Jazz+ and Mac OSX

wmdyer1
30-Mar-2008, 19:01
Anyone have any knowledge or experience as to whether Creo/Kodak Jazz+ will run on or can be upgraded to run on Mac OS 10.4.11?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Bill

Ted Harris
30-Mar-2008, 19:22
Bill, as it sits you have to run it on 9.2.2. You can upgrade it but the upgrade is about $5000 for the hardware and you'll likely have to pay $800 for the latest software.

wmdyer1
30-Mar-2008, 19:59
Ouch! At that kind of price, I might just as well buy an IQsmart 1, which if I understand correctly, was the replacement for the Jazz series of scanners. I'm not sure I want the hassle of buying an older used Mac and running 9.2.2. Hmmm, I'll have to give this some thought. Thank you for the info.
Bill

Kirk Gittings
30-Mar-2008, 20:02
Ted is absolutely right. I've been thru this too.

sanking
30-Mar-2008, 21:15
Ouch! At that kind of price, I might just as well buy an IQsmart 1, which if I understand correctly, was the replacement for the Jazz series of scanners. I'm not sure I want the hassle of buying an older used Mac and running 9.2.2. Hmmm, I'll have to give this some thought. Thank you for the info.
Bill

I don't personally find it much of an inconvenience to dedicate an old G4 running OS 9.2.2 to a scanner. Scanning is very time intensive and one way or the other the computer is going to be tied up when you are actually scanning. I run a couple of vintage scanners with a MAC G4, Quicksilver 867 MHz, and I have it set up to boot into either MAC OS 9.2.2 or OS 10.3.9. I do most of my other work on a Intel iMac with OS 10.4.11.

Of course, if you are not familiar with pre MAC OSX systems there is something of a learning curve. This was no problem for me since I have been using Macs since the days of the Mac Plus.

Sandy King

Capocheny
2-Apr-2008, 18:05
Bill,

I'll second Sandy's suggestion... G4's and OS 9.2.2 can be found for next to nothing these days.

I'm just in the midst of having a Howtek 4500 set up and the experts doing it have recommended that a stand-alone computer be dedicated to the scanner for the very reason that Sandy mentioned.

Cheers

wmdyer1
2-Apr-2008, 19:14
As I have been wisely advised, one can find an older used Mac at very reasonable prices. I am pleasantly surprised. So, I'm going to go for it. The Jazz+ scanner that is, and a used Mac if I get the scanner. I'm not a pro photographer, but I do like quality and this looks like it could give me enough quality, in comparison to most non-commercial scanners. I'd love an IQsmart3, or 2, but they're just out of my price range. The Jazz+ looks possible. Now, I just have to become more skillful with my Horseman LX. I'm very much new to large format.
Thank you to everyone for your input on this matter!
Bill

Kirk Gittings
2-Apr-2008, 19:46
If your looking at the one on ebay, it appears to not have the calibration slide and the scanner will not work without one. It can be purchased from Kodak. Price wise Genesis sells this scanner complete and refurbished for $4000.

wmdyer1
7-Apr-2008, 19:44
Kurt, Ted or Sandy,
Do you know if the IT8 calibration targets offered by LaserSoft would work to calibrate the Creo Jazz+? And, do I need one for each size I plan to scan, eg. 4X5 inch and 6X7cm?
Told you I was new at this high end large format stuff ;-)
Thanks for any info,
Bill

wmdyer1
7-Apr-2008, 19:53
Oops, that should have been Kirk, Ted or Sandy...
Bill

sanking
7-Apr-2008, 20:01
Oops, that should have been Kirk, Ted or Sandy...
Bill

There is some good information at this site, including a scanning guide with specific info about setting up an EverSmart scanner with both oXYgen and the Eversmart Scanning application.

http://www.hutchcolor.com/

Sandy King

Kirk Gittings
7-Apr-2008, 20:04
No, Bill, the only software for these machines is that provided by Creo/Scitex/Kodak and the calibration targets are proprietary.

wmdyer1
7-Apr-2008, 20:32
Thanks Kirk, you just saved me some money!
Bill

Ted Harris
8-Apr-2008, 06:45
Bill,

I have a local associate who has a dead Pro and would be willing to part with it very inexpensively .... he has all the tuff you need. PM if iterested.