PDA

View Full Version : Book on specs for films

EuGene Smith
30-Mar-2008, 15:31
I had a book (I think published in the 1950's or 60's) many years ago that listed about maybe 50 - 75 types of films, their specifications, info on shooting with them, developing info, etc. - - just about 2 or 3 pages about each type that gave a lot of good info. Is there any book available these days like that, especially since there have been so many changes in the types of film available?

Eu

bigdog
30-Mar-2008, 15:56
I had a similar book once, a bit more recent, but now still out of date. I think it was the "Amphoto Film Guide", or something similar.

I make my own. Kodak, Ilford and Fuji all have all of the tech specs, development data, etc on their websites. It is easy enough to get the latest from the sources.

EuGene Smith
30-Mar-2008, 16:21
Thanks, bigdog, I hadn't thought to see if they had spec sheets online, but will check it out. I have some boxes of old B&W Kodak LF stuff in the fridge -- Tech Pan, Kodalith, Royal Pan, & Professional Copy Film -- and wonder if I can get spec sheets off of the Kodak site for some of those that are no longer available (or are different) nowadays? Or, do I need to track down an old spec book to get info on them?

EuGene

David Karp
30-Mar-2008, 16:29
There are the spec sheets, which are great sources of information.

Also check out the Film Developing Cookbook by Anchell and Troop. Lot's of good information there.