PDA

View Full Version : Durst Laborator S-45EM

chris_4622
30-Mar-2008, 10:13
I've been thinking of getting an enlarger and this one has come up in the area. Does anyone have experience with this model? Assuming condition is very good what would you expect to pay?

Thanks for any input on this topic.

chris

Martin L.
30-Mar-2008, 10:46
I've been thinking of getting an enlarger and this one has come up in the area. Does anyone have experience with this model? Assuming condition is very good what would you expect to pay?

Thanks for any input on this topic.

chris

They are pretty cheap now. A look at the completed auctions on flea bay will show you how cheap one can be had. I have seen them on Craigs list for free if someone will come pick it up.

Clueless Winddancing
30-Mar-2008, 21:45
THE critical point is: "For what I want to do with it, are all the parts, accessories, etc. there and functioning?" Because often the missing part may cost more time, money, and frustration that the "whole" original purchase.

Donald Miller
30-Mar-2008, 22:07
The S 45 is the same chassis as the 138 S enlarger. In fact the condensers are the same for both enlargers. So while the S45 is a 4X5 enlarger, it would not take a lot of mods (210 condensers, neg carrier, and appropriate lens) to have a 5X7 enlarger.

It might be important to check the condensers that come with the enlarger because with Durst it is not a case of one size fits all.

I would rather have a Durst than a brand new Saunders...I have both and use the Durst pretty much all of the time.

John Powers
31-Mar-2008, 04:28
Go to http://www.jensen-optical.us/library.html for a number of Durst documents converted to downloadable PDFs. Scroll down the list. # 28 is the L138S Brochure.
#29 is the L138S manual. My 138S was converted to 8x10 Cold light head. As mentioned, it is all a matter of what you want to do with the enlarger.

John

wfwhitaker
31-Mar-2008, 06:47
The S 45 is the same chassis as the 138 S enlarger. In fact the condensers are the same for both enlargers. So while the S45 is a 4X5 enlarger, it would not take a lot of mods (210 condensers, neg carrier, and appropriate lens) to have a 5X7 enlarger.

I don't understand this last statement. I have an S45 EM. It is a 5x7 enlarger. It came with all the condensers for all formats up to and including 5x7. The designation "EM" refers to electron microscopy. Mine came with both the point source and standard condenser head. The condensers included were the "T" condensers which are the coated ones and (to me, at least) more desirable than the non-coated variety. See what is included with the enlarger you're considering. Look at the online resources already mentioned as a reference. Don't forget the negative carrier. Sometimes the EM's have different carriers specific to that function. Take an inventory and perhaps a photo or two. It'll give those of us here a lot more to go on.

Brook Martin
31-Mar-2008, 10:21
I recently picked one of these up, it has 2 different ID plates, the S45 EM plate has a chart with negative sizes common to microscopy, the 138 S plate has common pictoral size negs. I think thats the only difference.

Could anyone tell my the function of the 240R/240 condensor pair as opposed to using a 240/240 pairing?

chris_4622
31-Mar-2008, 10:54
Thanks for the help. I'll contact the seller and try to get some photos of what is included.

chris

chris_4622
31-Mar-2008, 13:33
"It comes with a three lens turret a Durst 8180 Triple with an El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6 for 2&1/4" square, Schneider Kreunach Xenar 105mm f4.5 for 2&1/4x3&1/4", and Rodenstock Rodagon 50mm f2.8 lenses for 35mm. I can supply a 150mm lens for 4x5 format if needed. The enlarger comes with four interchangeable condensers that are interchanged depending on the format used. A chart on the head of the enlarger shows what combination of diffusion lenses to be used on each format."

I have a 150mm lens for 4x5. It comes with a 5x7 negative carrier but not a lens for that format, so I would have to look for a 210mm.