PDA

View Full Version : lenses and lenses

cobalt
29-Mar-2008, 11:39
Hi. It's been a while.
I came into 5 lenses, several 4x5 holders and a camera. I only want one of the lenses. Before I give this stuff away...any advise on the lenses? Good, bad, mediocre?
They are:

90mm superangulon f5.6 (older...apparently not mc)
135 zeiss 3.5 planar
135 xenar
12 inch commercial ektar

I assume the extar is a great lens; I've used a few. Anyway, I don't want to hold on to this stuff, as I rarely shoot 4x5, and already have a 300 for 8x10. They are all working, and the shutter speeds seem to be fairly accurate for the most part. The 90 is in particularly good shape. Are they worth much?

Peter K
29-Mar-2008, 13:11
Possible one can have a sufficient amount of cameras but never of lenses. So the only lens to think about is the Xenar 135mm because the Planar is 3.5 compared to 4.5.

Sheldon N
29-Mar-2008, 13:36
The Planar is worth the most out of the bunch. If it is all black and has a T* coating, it's worth a MINT. Even if it's just one of the older ones, it's still valuable. Perhaps $500-750.

The 90mm f/5.6 is worth maybe $500-600.

12 inch Ektar maybe $350-400.

Xenar isn't worth too much.

Just my gut guesses. I've been wrong before.

Ron Marshall
29-Mar-2008, 14:42
See if any of these lenses are available at KEH, Lens and Repro or Igor's to get an idea of pricing.

David A. Goldfarb
29-Mar-2008, 14:55
The 135/3.5 Planar is a great lens, particularly for handheld 4x5" use.

Alan Davenport
29-Mar-2008, 15:38
They're all junk, just send 'em to me and I"ll take care of the hazardous disposal...

OK, that's B.S.

I'd think an f/5.6 SA is new enough to be multicoated even if it doesn't say so? Don't quote me, but it might be worth researching...

cobalt
30-Mar-2008, 12:53
The Planar is worth the most out of the bunch. If it is all black and has a T* coating, it's worth a MINT. Even if it's just one of the older ones, it's still valuable. Perhaps $500-750.

The 90mm f/5.6 is worth maybe $500-600.

12 inch Ektar maybe $350-400.

Xenar isn't worth too much.

Just my gut guesses. I've been wrong before.

:eek: Are you kidding? I bought the set just to get the Planar...it is a very nice lens, but alas, has no T*. Can't seem to find a value anywhere...can't seem to find one anywhere. Strange.

By the way, your flickr page is making me consider keeping the 4x5 Sinar Norma...

cobalt
30-Mar-2008, 12:55
They're all junk, just send 'em to me and I"ll take care of the hazardous disposal...

OK, that's B.S.

I'd think an f/5.6 SA is new enough to be multicoated even if it doesn't say so? Don't quote me, but it might be worth researching...

I heard, from a very reputable source, that "mc" would be written on the barrel if it were multicoated. Apparently, it is not.

Sheldon N
30-Mar-2008, 13:54
:eek: Are you kidding? I bought the set just to get the Planar...it is a very nice lens, but alas, has no T*. Can't seem to find a value anywhere...can't seem to find one anywhere. Strange.

By the way, your flickr page is making me consider keeping the 4x5 Sinar Norma...

Thanks, I try to keep the ol' 4x5 from getting rusty. :)

My guess on the Planar values was from watching auctions a few months ago. Things may have changed recently.

The T* coated Planar is really, really rare. I think they can sell upwards of $3-4k on the collector market.

BrianShaw
30-Mar-2008, 14:12
I heard, from a very reputable source, that "mc" would be written on the barrel if it were multicoated. Apparently, it is not.

I once thought they were all MC based on some old sales material I saw. But according to Schneider there may be single coated and MC. See this link:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/5.6-90mm.html

Salty
30-Mar-2008, 14:22
12" Commercial Ektar (305mm) covers 8x10, give it a try and compare it with your other 300mm lens

John Berry
30-Mar-2008, 23:59
[QUOTE=cobalt;334406 but alas, has no T*. [/QUOTE] Lucky you. Maybe the T lens is worth more but yours will kick a multi-coated lens ass any day. Every time I hear someone talk about the increased contrast of a multi-coated lens, I wonder, do they realize it is interchangeable with the term DECREASED dynamic range. A decreased dynamic range allowed automated processors a larger tolerance window for QC. I'm NOT against coated lenses. I have many fine single coated lenses, some uncoated, and only a 210 Macro- sironar that is multicoated. I"ll bet money that people shooting product and had their ratios set up said WTF when the first chromes came out of the soup with their new MC lens, and had to modify to accommodate the change. Chew on that for a while.