PDA

View Full Version : Mystery cameras, any info?

Robbie Shymanski
29-Mar-2008, 07:04
I have been doing some documentation work on this mansion. I have the run of the building and was looking in old closets in storage. I discovered the camera collection. Mostly old Kodaks, a couple Centurys. There were a couple gems that I could use some information on.

One is this wonderful 8x10. Even with the GG, it weighs nothing. I took a chance and extended the red leather bellows that were still soft and supple. The only marking is the "Flammang's" indentation on the rail. Also there is patent date on the GG frame.

Robbie Shymanski
29-Mar-2008, 07:10
And there is this real oddball. A very tiny LF, only because it had film backs and holders. It is and ARGUS(?) TLR. It has a simple shutter. Currently, it has a film pack back with film still in it! You can see the other film holders.

David A. Goldfarb
29-Mar-2008, 07:31
My American Optical 11x14" camera has that type of front rise mechanism.

Ken Lee
29-Mar-2008, 07:46
Have a look at Field Cameras of the United States 1879-1930 (http://www.fiberq.com/cam/index.htm)

You may find it among the various models.

Gene McCluney
29-Mar-2008, 08:20
And there is this real oddball. A very tiny LF, only because it had film backs and holders. It is and ARGUS(?) TLR. It has a simple shutter. Currently, it has a film pack back with film still in it! You can see the other film holders.

That is a type of "spy" or "stealth" camera, I have seen vintage ads for this, in history books. It is designed to take a photo at 45 degrees from where the user appears to be looking, by sighting thru the eyepiece.

Ernest Purdum
29-Mar-2008, 08:45
Your little camera is a product of the Nettel camera works - later Contessa-Nettel then still later Zeiss. it dates from 1911. The same camera had several other names including Ergo and Intimo.

My recollection is that "Flammangs Patent" refers to a revolving back and that the lpatent was held by Scovill. I'll try to find confirmation for my fallible memory.

You have two very desirable collector items.