PDA

View Full Version : Bleach & Reduce

lungovw
28-Mar-2008, 11:55
I don't know why I have in my mind that a good print from a good neg should not call any retouch. But thinking twice I would ask myself why not? It can be seen just as part of the process. Then I got curious to know how frequent others use to grab the Potassium ferricyanide jar. So the question is:

Out of 10 different prints you make: in how many of those do you apply any kind of technique to reduce values?

rippo
28-Mar-2008, 12:44
'never' is still not shown as an answer.

i don't ever reduce. mostly because my printing skills have not evolved to that stage yet.

David A. Goldfarb
28-Mar-2008, 12:51
It's a tool in the bag, but I don't do it that often.

Blueberrydesk
28-Mar-2008, 13:03
I've finally got everything ready to go (I think) for my mini-bathroom/darkroom, and I'm excited to try everything. There was a great article in Photo-Techniques, I believe, a few years ago regarding printing techniques and bleaching to raise contrast locally. Ever since I read that I've dreamed at night of doing this myself! So while I haven't done it before, I see myself doing it a good bit, depending on the print.

lungovw
28-Mar-2008, 13:44
I realized too late that I did not include "NEVER" and I could not figure how to edit that part of the thread. I wrote to LF Forum. Let us wait and see if someone can fix it.

Sorry by that.

WL

Ralph Barker
28-Mar-2008, 14:27
Not quite never, but 0.1 would be close.

Andrew O'Neill
28-Mar-2008, 16:02
I often do local bleaching on a print. Didn't some famous photographer call it liquid light?

Erich Hoeber
28-Mar-2008, 19:55
I've got a jar of ferricyanide on the shelf, but I very rarely need it.

Richard Wall
28-Mar-2008, 20:31
Most of the time I never bleach a print, but I have had occasions when I get into split toning a series of prints. This requires bleaching the print then using a combination of mild sepia toning and then selenium toning. It requires a lot of finesse to do it well, but when successful the results are fantastic.

r.

Mattg
28-Mar-2008, 21:01
4/10

I've only recently discovered local bleaching and have found that it is an excellent tool in circumstances where you need to enhance highlight contrast.

I tend to use it in conjunction with pre-exposure for prints that include smallish areas of snow or that were taken in very hazy conditions. In both cases I now use a slightly longer exposure time to get good texture into the high values and then go back and apply in very small areas to give some white highlights which enhances the appearance of contrast.

eddie
29-Mar-2008, 04:50
i don't ever reduce. mostly because my printing skills have not evolved to that stage yet.

ditto! but i want to try this and split toning! i guess i need to get into the dark....and quick!

eddie

David A. Goldfarb
29-Mar-2008, 05:05
Didn't some famous photographer call it liquid light?

I'm not sure if he called it "liquid light," but W. Eugene Smith was known to use local bleaching a fair amount.

D. Bryant
29-Mar-2008, 19:44
I'm not sure if he called it "liquid light," but W. Eugene Smith was known to use local bleaching a fair amount.

I think John Sexton may have said that Ansel (and staff) called it 'liquid light' or something to that effect.

Don Bryant

domenico Foschi
29-Mar-2008, 19:55
Another very useful tool is latent image bleaching.
This instead of increasing contrast actually reduces it.
It is kind of a guess work but very effective in dense negatives.
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/LatentImageBleach/latentimagebleach.html