PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff 12x20, has anyone ever seen one ???

beegee
28-Mar-2008, 07:06
has anyone ever seen the big Deardorff 12x20"???? how different are they from a Korona or a Folmer Schwing??? I have never seen a picture neither, I know the exist , but ...where are them ???

eddie
28-Mar-2008, 07:21
funny you ask that. i know a guy who has one. he says there are very few. i will try and get a picture of it if you like.

just as a blind guess i will say that the 12x20 probably is very similar to the 8x10. i will put an eye ball on it this weekend and report back.

eddie

Pete Roody
28-Mar-2008, 07:48
Michael Smith uses one (with an 8x20 back). Kenro Izu uses one (with a 14x20 back).

Pete Roody
28-Mar-2008, 07:49
has anyone ever seen the big Deardorff 12x20"???? how different are they from a Korona or a Folmer Schwing??? I have never seen a picture neither, I know the exist , but ...where are them ???

The Deardorff has full bellows extension (same as their 11x14) so it can be used with long lenses.

eddie
28-Mar-2008, 08:02
just got an e mail from my friend. he said:

"As far as the Dorf 1220 vs Korona 1220.....lets just say the Dorf tips the scale at about 45lbs on a good morning. All it is is an 1114 Dorf w/ a 1220 back attached....same exact chassis., slightly longer uprights."

sounds like fun!

eddie

John Powers
28-Mar-2008, 08:23
Art Sinsabaugh 1924-1983 used one. There is a picture on the following link showing him carrying the camera on tripod next to his Suburban camera car. http://www.indiana.edu/~iuam/online_modules/sinsabaugh/b_main.html

In 2005 there was a traveling exhibit of his work starting at the Art Institute of Chicago where he studied and then taught. I saw the exhibit in Columbus, Ohio Feb-April 2005. In addition to three rooms of his work they had his camera and tripod on display. It was BIG. During his career Art had three heart attacks or strokes. How much of this was due to his type A personality and how much was due to the camera and tripod I wouldn’t guess.

There are two more pictures of he and the camera in the book accompanying the exhibit. Both pictures have a dark cloth over much of the camera. The book was available on Amazon. “American Horizons: The Photographs of Art Sinsabaugh”; Davis, Keith F.; Hudson Hills Press; 2005

John

beegee
29-Mar-2008, 18:39
funny you ask that. i know a guy who has one. he says there are very few. i will try and get a picture of it if you like.

just as a blind guess i will say that the 12x20 probably is very similar to the 8x10. i will put an eye ball on it this weekend and report back.

eddie

thanks Eddie,
If you could get a picture I would appreciate it very much !.
my email : flylinse1@yahoo.com

Yes, I was wondering myself if it looked like a bigger 11x14", I guess was close.
Quality wise, it should be a better sturdy machine than Korona and Folmer S.

beegee

caleb
30-Mar-2008, 08:32
that show is currently on display in Kansas City at the Nelson Atkins Museum. The camera is there as well. It is big. I found the camera more interesting than the prints in the show. I think the images were really pretty interesting but the print quality was just so poor that I couldn't get into looking at them that much. He really should have hired a good printer.

Nick_3536
30-Mar-2008, 08:42
In addition to three rooms of his work they had his camera and tripod on display. It was BIG. During his career Art had three heart attacks or strokes. How much of this was due to his type A personality and how much was due to the camera and tripod I wouldn’t guess.

Hauling that load around must have helped keep hin fit. What close to 100lbs between camera and tripod? Plus everything else :eek: