PDA

View Full Version : All I need is a camera........

Noeyedear
27-Mar-2008, 07:56
First, Hello everyone, I have just joined the LFP and this is my first post and it's a brain picking exercise.
OK I have just bought a portrait lens "Kodak Portrait Lens 305mm f 4:8" I had thought of a 5x7 Linhof to mount it in, but looking at the size of the barrel (No.5) I'm not shure the Linhof panel would be man enough for the task, any one familiar with this lens and Linhof, if you could advise me please.
Any suggestions for a suitable secondhand camera, (I'm not looking to spend a mint) if you know of one for sale a point in that direction would be appreciated, it would be nice if a 5x4 reduction was available.
Is it possible to buy colour Neg for 5x7 without chopping up 10x8 in the dark?
Processing 5x7 B&W sheet film, any suggestions, I'm hampered by no longer having a darkroom, only a changing bag for loading etc. Is there a Jobo or similar system that can handle 5x7?
My apologies for so many questions.

Kevin.

Ron Marshall
27-Mar-2008, 08:17
Jobo 3006 will take 5x7 and 4x5.

Badger has Provia (20 sheets) in 5x7. B&H have Portra 160 (50 sheets) in 5x7.

Ron Bose
27-Mar-2008, 08:27
With a #5 Ilex you really need a Sinar board. A Linhof Technika board is just too small.

Although this is a 5x7 format lens, many people use it for 8x10 ...

So a Deardorf 8x10 with reduction backs for 5x7 and 4x5 might be a good bet ....

wfwhitaker
27-Mar-2008, 08:57
Your Kodak Portrait might possibly fit on a board for a Technika 5x7 (not 4x5). That board is 5.1 inches square. The Ilex #5 does fit on a 5 1/4" board such as some of the Wisner cameras use. Another camera which also uses a 5 1/4" board is the Agfa 5x7. It still has the basic movements, but if you're not looking for a lot of movements, it might be a very good solution. Not nearly as expensive as a 5x7 Technika. 4x5 reducing backs can be found (or made). And I have one available.

Noeyedear
27-Mar-2008, 09:02
With a #5 Ilex you really need a Sinar board. A Linhof Technika board is just too small.

Although this is a 5x7 format lens, many people use it for 8x10 ...

So a Deardorf 8x10 with reduction backs for 5x7 and 4x5 might be a good bet ....

Do you mean they shoot it 10x8 or use it with a 5x7 reduction back. I did wonder about shooting it 10x8 and using the fall off for effect.
Thanks,

Kevin.