PDA

View Full Version : UK: Ilford Wholeplate Film Availability

RJ-
24-Mar-2008, 11:13
This post may only concern wholeplate format users in the United Kingdom - I believe the situation in the States may be different.

I switched to whole plate format towards the end of last year and found myself in a situation with no film. The format switch would have been impossibly disappointing: none of the UK distributors I work with had been able to source whole plate film by the end of the year.

I've learnt from some forum members how to cut down long roll film adeptly (I think), and have since managed without pre-cut boxed film.

Nonetheless I approached Silverprint UK (one of Ilford's distributors) to ask about whole plate film availability [Ilford FP4+]. Silverprint UK authorised permission for me to post this on the forum:

Dear RJ,

We've spoken to the people at Ilford & they can still produce this film.
However, they have a minimum order of 25 boxes. They haven't set up
pricing for this film yet, but they believe it would cost approximately
£50 + VAT per box. Please get back in touch with us if you're still
interested in buying this film.

Some other whole-plate forum users in London have expressed an interest. So far, there seems to be sufficient interest in 10 boxes of wholeplate film, a significant short-fall in the minimum order.

I understand from other whole plate users, that last year's minimum order quantity was waived, possibly at a loss to Ilford Harmon UK. Hence I've asked Ilford UK to clarify the above.

If anyone is interested in joining this minimum order, feel free to let me know. I don't mind co-ordinating a minimum order for whole plate film in England since we're almost half-way there.

Kind regards,

RJ

David Karp
24-Mar-2008, 11:26
RJ,

Here is another option for you: http://www.retrophotographic.com/shop/53/index.htm.

I understand the desire to use Ilford film. I love HP5+ and really like FP4+, but this might tide you over for a while.

RJ-
24-Mar-2008, 11:45
Thank you David -

I really like and hope that others continue to support Nigel and Retrophotographic.

Before I left England on assignment last year, I ordered NP15 from Retrophotographic. To date, 5 months later, they have still failed to honour the order or update me despite numerous emails.

I understand that they have relocated premises, which may have explained the uncharacteristic lack of service.

Cutting down film roll, I have sufficient slow-grain film as it is.

Kind regards,

RJ

David Karp
24-Mar-2008, 11:53
RJ,

Sorry to hear about the problem. I was thinking that this would always be an alternate supply for me if I ever run out of Ilford film.

Barry Wilkinson
24-Mar-2008, 12:44
RJ,

Not Ilford, but another option may be...

http://sheetfilm.be/film.php

They are currently out of stock but I'm sure they will have some soon.

Barry

Rob_5419
24-Mar-2008, 13:58
Hi RJ,

Nice to see you're back in England ;)

You've already counted me in I see. The Sheetfilm.be project is something Geert posted on Apug......I might try that too.

Ash
25-Mar-2008, 11:41
Hey RJ! Hope you are well!

I have had the same problem with Retro (I ordered, 3 days later they email saying they were moving at the end of the week, refunded my money and stuck a note up on the site. Why they couldn't honour the sale I don't know). I now refuse to buy from them - a shame since the price of some film really did push the right buttons for me :(

Remigius
25-Mar-2008, 12:11
RJ,

Not Ilford, but another option may be...

http://sheetfilm.be/film.php

They are currently out of stock but I'm sure they will have some soon.

Barry
You can also contact wephota directly, they cut the film on order. I'm sure they have also someone who speaks English. You can call them for a quote. The phone number is +49 - 3943 - 54 40 56.

http://www.wephota.de/

Pete Watkins
25-Mar-2008, 12:47
Barry,
Thanks for that link.
RJ,
Retro are a nightmare, he won't answer the phone and some of the stuff on his website (on my last visit) was no longer available. Look at Mr Cad's website, I recently bought some half plate from them and the service was superb (it really hurts me to admit that, but I would go back). The clowns at Fotoimpex refuse to ship to the U.K., tossers!
Check out the Lotus website and Lindhof and Studio do Bergger film, they might be able to help.
Keep us informed,
Pete.

RJ-
2-Apr-2008, 09:19
Thanks for the input everyone.

Simon Galley (from Ilford Harmon) will make a public update in the next few weeks about the ULF availability and whole plate film.

Kind regards,

RJ