PDA

View Full Version : I shoot a lot.

Gene McCluney
23-Mar-2008, 23:16
While I am a commercial photographer by trade, one of my hobbies is also photography in large format. For the last couple of years I have been trying to go out every week or so on an all day trip with my best friend (who also shoots, but digital), and shoot vintage bridges. We divide up the state by county and try to cover a county in a long dawn to dusk day, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 trips. Saturday we had a long day, and I shot 60 sheets of 5x7 b/w film 2 each of 30 views. A pretty good day. We have been working on Oklahoma for quite some time now, and this state has an incredible number of very photogenic vintage bridges, some dating back to the first decade of the 20th century. I use Fomapan 200, rated at ISO 100, and develop in HC-110 dilution E in deep tank 3.5 gallon. The winter (after the leaves fall) until late Spring is the best time because most rural bridges get choked with vegetation and it is harder to get good views in the Summer, not to mention the insect and poison ivy issues in warm weather. I have a large pair of pruning shears I use to trim back some vegetation that blocks my views.

Capocheny
24-Mar-2008, 01:03
While I am a commercial photographer by trade, one of my hobbies is also photography in large format. For the last couple of years I have been trying to go out every week or so on an all day trip with my best friend (who also shoots, but digital), and shoot vintage bridges. We divide up the state by county and try to cover a county in a long dawn to dusk day, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 trips. Saturday we had a long day, and I shot 60 sheets of 5x7 b/w film 2 each of 30 views. A pretty good day. We have been working on Oklahoma for quite some time now, and this state has an incredible number of very photogenic vintage bridges, some dating back to the first decade of the 20th century. I use Fomapan 200, rated at ISO 100, and develop in HC-110 dilution E in deep tank 3.5 gallon. The winter (after the leaves fall) until late Spring is the best time because most rural bridges get choked with vegetation and it is harder to get good views in the Summer, not to mention the insect and poison ivy issues in warm weather. I have a large pair of pruning shears I use to trim back some vegetation that blocks my views.

Hi Gene,

While some people who shoot images professionally don't even want to think about picking up a camera to go shooting on their days off... it's nice to see someone who enjoys the "personal, artistic side" of photography.

When I worked for a newspaper... working for them and shooting for myself was an entirely different cup of tea! Monday to Friday, for the most part was their time. Saturday and Sunday were "MY" times!

And, having a good friend to go off shooting with makes the journey that much easier and more pleasant (never mind, a lot safer as well.)

So, IMHO, I'd say... good on you for having fun with your "professional" hobby! :)

Best wishes!

Cheers

Deane Johnson
24-Mar-2008, 03:38
I have a large pair of pruning shears I use to trim back some vegetation that blocks my views.
I think Ansel Adams would have called that "scene management" as opposed to "image management".:)

Charles Carstensen
24-Mar-2008, 05:33
Great post, thanks for sharing that.

wclavey
26-Mar-2008, 11:18
Gene, I have seen a number of your bridge images and thought of you several times over this past week, including one conversation about it with my wife... we just returned to Houston from a 2-week vacation driving trip that included a week on the Outer Banks in NC. We always try to include a day of driving where we do not expect to cover many miles so that I can spend time taking pictures along the way, and we try to include some scenic aspect to our route. This year, we included the Natchez Trace southbound and then US-61 to Baton Rouge in our route and made several jaunts off the main route to see other things. In that process, we crossed several bridges that made me think of your work and one that, had it not been late in the day, I would have tried to do some justice to myself, although certainly not up to your standards (hence the conversation with my wife).

I, too, am glad that you do not let your professional association with photography deteriorate your personal interests in it... I have been inspired by many of the things you have posted. Thanks.

Bruce Schultz
26-Mar-2008, 11:42
Let's see some of those Okie bridges.

Martin K
28-Mar-2008, 03:50
A good story Gene. Sounds like you are having fun. I am also a commercial photographer and shoot almost obsessively on weekends and holidays. It is fun, improves my porty and skills. Shooting on a Cambo.

I like the idea of such directed effort into a project like you are doing. I need to follow your lead on that one. Thanks for the inspirational post